• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

he was honoured

'Gilani said he was honoured to be part of the ceremony'. can I say "he was honoured' mean 'he was happy ' or "he was proud'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: he was honoured

Quote Originally Posted by 1235 View Post
    'Gilani said he was honoured to be part of the ceremony'. can I say "he was honoured' mean 'he was happy ' or "he was proud'
    Happy doesn't work here. Proud is closer but still not quite the same. If he felt "honoured" then he felt that it was a privilege that he was allowed to be part of the ceremony. Perhaps it was something that only a few people are allowed to take part in.

I've just noticed that you have posted this question twice, once here and once with "honoured" as the title. Please try to only post a question once.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Happy doesn't work here. Proud is closer but still not quite the same. If he felt "honoured" then he felt that it was a privilege that he was allowed to be part of the ceremony. Perhaps it was something that only a few people are allowed to take part in.

I've just noticed that you have posted this question twice, once here and once with "honoured" as the title. Please try to only post a question once.
    I am not understanding this sentence('Gilani said he was honoured to be part of the ceremony'). Please you can translate in a more easy way?
    Last edited by 1235; 22-Aug-2011 at 18:31.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Dear sir emsr2d2,I have been waiting since three days but no body given me answer yet. I am very thankful to you for giving answer in a best way with example on my thread title(Earlier on Thursday)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

The lack of response may heve caused by our feeling that emsr2d22 had given a satisfactory answer. It is often quicker to use a dictionary than ask for meanings of words here. You can always come back here if you have problems with the dictionary entry.

Try:
    Collins COBUILD: The English Learner
    Definition of honour verb (RESPECT) from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus
    honor - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education
    Honor - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

SIR when I asked you to translate any sentence or context then actually my real problem does not to know meaning of any word but to know about its concept in a easy way. Here in this sentence I used dictionary to know meaning of "honoured" but I actually want to know that what will be its easy translation?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 1235 View Post
    SIR when I asked you to translate any sentence or context then actually my real problem does not to know meaning of any word but to know about its concept in a easy way. Here in this sentence I used dictionary to know meaning of "honoured" but I actually want to know that what will be its easy translation?
    Yes, it's a difficult concept to explain.
    To "be honoured" or "feel honoured" (which is more to the point) is to feel as though one has been granted an honour by the people who have, in this case, invited him to join the ceremony. It usually includes a feeling that one is not worthy of such an honour.
    If you feel you deserve the honour, you don't normally feel "honoured", since you feel simply that it's warranted. So, there's usually a sense of feeling unworthy of such honour (either real or feigned) in people who say thay "feel honoured".