Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Can someone tell me whether the expression 'hall of residence' is used only for the accommodation of university or college students (during the school year)? If yes, how do you say the accommodation of secondary school students (during the school year)?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, we would not say "hall of residence" at all. We do have the term "residence hall" but that's far, far less common than "dormitory" or just "dorm."

What dorm will you be in? Our dorm room is really tiny! Will you be living in one of the dorms or off-campus?

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Can someone tell me whether the expression 'hall of residence' is used only for the accommodation of university or college students (during the school year)? If yes, how do you say the accommodation of secondary school students (during the school year)?
You would more likely hear "residence hall." It can refer to accommodations at a school for students at any level. "Dormitory" is the word more frequently used in the US.

Lily of the valley

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
In the US, we would not say "hall of residence" at all. We do have the term "residence hall" but that's far, far less common than "dormitory" or just "dorm."

What dorm will you be in? Our dorm room is really tiny! Will you be living in one of the dorms or off-campus?

Unfortunately, I am not going abroad, I am just interested in this phrase because in our country it is not rare that a secondary school has something like a hall of residence or dormitory but I am not sure if I can use this expression in this context.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Residence hall" would surely be understood in any schooling context.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Hall of residence' is common at British universities. At boarding schools, pupils sleep in dormitories or study-bedrooms in their 'house'.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My prior post simply had examples showing common usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.