Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

I'm wondering what the difference between 'incentive', 'inducement' and 'enticement' is. Do I understand it correctly that 'inducement' and 'enticement' refer to something that is given/offered, while 'incentive' has a broader meaning?
For example,

1.The possibility of getting a bigger salary can serve as an incentive/inducement to learn a language.
2. He regarded her success as an incentive to work harder.
3. The benefits that her boss offered to her were actually an inducement/enticement to work overtime.

Thank you.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I'm wondering what the difference between 'incentive', 'inducement' and 'enticement' is. Do I understand it correctly that 'inducement' and 'enticement' refer to something that is given/offered, while 'incentive' has a broader meaning?
For example,

1.The possibility of getting a bigger salary can serve as an incentive/inducement to learn a language. Either, but I prefer "incentive".
2. He regarded her success as an incentive to work harder. OK
3. The benefits that her boss offered to her were actually an inducement/enticement to work overtime. Either, but I prefer "inducement" for a business environment..
Thank you.

b.

J

J&K Tutoring

Let's load a pig into a truck.

1. The pig's enticement is the tasty corn the farmer sprinkled inside the truck.

2. The pig's enducement is the farmer behind him poking him with a stick.

3. The pig's incentive is his thinking that maybe, if he goes into the truck, the farmer will stop poking him with the stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.