Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am really confused about the sentences that begin with ing form of verbs. Is there anyone who can explain the elaboration?
Example: 1-There is something inside me that pulls beneath the surface. confusing,consuming.
2-Crawling in my skin.

Last edited:

English Freak

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'd like to correct your sentence "I am really confused about the sentences" ... (not confused with)
J&K Tutoring is right. The examples are not ok.
But the gerund form (-ing form) at the beginning of sentence can play the role of a noun. For example:
1) Running is difficult for me. (It is difficult for me to run.)
2) Speaking another language helps you find a better job. (If you want to have a better chance to find a better job, you should learn another language.)
I hope they help.

leonardoatt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Okay I bring you whole context to comment on.(It's a lyric from [LINKINPARK] Music band)

######################
Crawling in my skin
These wounds they will not heal
Fear is how I fall
Confusing what is real

There's something inside me that pulls beneath the surface
Consuming/confusing
This lack of self-control I fear is never ending
Controlling/I can't see

[Bridge:]
To find myself again
My walls are closing in
(without a sense of confidence and I'm convinced that there's just too much pressure to take)
I've felt this way before
So insecure

[Chorus]

Discomfort,endlessly has pulled itself upon me
Distracting/reacting
Against my will I stand beside my own reflection
It's haunting how I can't see...

[Bridge]

[Chorus]

[Chorus]
<!-- end of lyrics -->
Enough?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Don't try to work out how English grammar works from song lyrics. They often follow patterns dictated by rhythm and sound rather than rules, or even meaning.

ps. You have been told this before. Tdol wrote, in another of your threads, "Song lyrics are not always meaningful and coherent- some make little sense and often songwriters just use words because they sound good."

Last edited:

leonardoatt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Pardon me.I can almost understand any normal contexts like books,magazines,newspapers or anything written in english except lyric of such songs.Is not there any remedy to understand these complicated lyrics? :?:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Pardon me.I can almost understand any normal contexts like books,magazines,newspapers or anything written in english except lyric of such songs.Is not there any remedy to understand these complicated lyrics? :?:
No, not linguistically. Socially, there is. The closer you get to knowing the lyricist, or the band, the easier it might be to interpret their lyrics.
Thus a groupie who knows the history of the band, the social mileu in which they work, their motivation, their social concerns, the impetus behind their art, their aesthetic; and who subscribes to all their fan websites, follows them on tour, living, eating and sleeping with them, will probably be able to interpret their songs better than a randomly chosen person, a member of this forum, or a Linguistics professor.

leonardoatt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with you.:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.