1. AlainK

four/fourteen/forty

Help me to show off :

Nobody on my teachers mailing list (even the native speakers) can give an explanation about the difference in spellings of four/fourteen/forty. The initial post was from a teacher who couldn't answer one of her pupils.

I suggested that spelling was not so compelling at a time, and that it was probably spelled many different ways, but usage just kept the current ones. I added that for "four", maybe it was to avoid confusion with "for", whereas for "forty", there was no problem.

Someone replied "what about fourteen?".

I said:
    - no other word can be confused with "fourteen" or "forty", so the problem was only with "four". The random spelling with the others didn't matter much;
    - or maybe it has something to do with the way these words were sounded in the past: ou/o before long/short vowel sound.

This is of course pure hypothesis, and I'd really like to know if anyone can tell me if they have sound information on that detail...

AK

Re: four/fourteen/forty

Quote Originally Posted by AlainK
    maybe it has something to do with the way these words were sounded in the past: ou/o before long/short vowel sound.
    Well, here's what I remember from a historical linguistics course I took 4,000 years ago.

"five" ([ai]) was reduced to fi- ([I]), when -ty (<-tig) was added, giving 'fifty', see also 'fifteen'; "three" was reduced to thr-, when -ty was added, giving 'thirty', see also 'thirteen', and so "four" followed the same pattern: "four" (OE. feo'wer / feour-) reduced to feor-, giving modern day 'fo:rty'.

"five" and "three" have one syllable each, whereas OE. feower ("four") had two syllables. (note, there are speakers today, though, who pronounce "four" as [fo:'wr], with two syllables, but never *fo:'[w]rty, unless emphatic.)

Add a suffix, either -ty or -teen, and the stress along with its associated vowel changes. (note, -ty and -teen share the same vowel, but differ in vowel length and stress.) In the case of feo'wer+tig ("forty") the second syllable was reduced, and in the case of feo'wer'teen ("fourteen") the first syllable was reduced.

OE. feo'wer+tig > feor+tig > forty
    OE. feo'wer+teen > fower'teen ("w" became u) > fourteen

3. AlainK

Thank you ever so much for your answer.
    Casiopea, you're a star!
    But I don't believe you can be some 4,000 years old, stars are much older than that...

You're welcome.