Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Japan
I've seen a few threads on the usage of go vs. come. But they're not enough to help me find the correct answer to the situation below.

A Japanese friend of mine was telling me about what she did the other day. Please note that we weren't chatting at her place at that time. She said the following.

"Yesterday, I went to my mother's place and did some chores for her. After that, I CAME BACK HOME."

In my opinion, I think she should use WENT BACK HOME instead but I'm sure. Is it also ok to use GOT HOME?

J

J&K Tutoring

You are correct- she should have used 'went back home'. 'Got home' would not have been correct in that context.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Come & go are used differently in Japanese- they refer to the the place where the speaker is, so if ringing you at your home, they say, or so I was taught, I will go to your house, where we could say I will come to your house. It sounds simple, but I remember getting it wrong in my Japanese classes. It's an area that is easy to make mistakes with, at least I found it easy. I have been on the other side, sitting thinking it's go, no, it's come, no, it's go, etc. She could avoid the problem by using return instead of come/go back for the verb she's thinking of.

I wouldn't use got back there as that has the meaning of arrived, so I would use it if I gave the time of my arrival home or something like that.

Last edited:

grace_c

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Japan
Thank you Tdol sensei!

grace_c

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Japan
Thanks Kevin (J&K Tutoring)!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thank you Tdol sensei!

You think come/go is fairly clear and easy to grasp until you come across a language where they do things differently and you suddenly find yourself in a minefield where there are more doubts than certainties. ;-)

PS What's Tagalog like to learn? I'll be moving to Manila soon.

grace_c

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Japan
You think come/go is fairly clear and easy to grasp until you come across a language where they do things differently and you suddenly find yourself in a minefield where there are more doubts than certainties. ;-)

PS What's Tagalog like to learn? I'll be moving to Manila soon.

A minefield it is. Could be worse for a non-native speaker like me. Being in Japan sometimes makes me forget certain things in English. But I will always love Japan.

Regarding Tagalog, I think you'll find it easy. It's an S-V-O language unlike the Japanese language which is an S-O-V.

For example,
I/You/We am/are American/s.
Ako/Ikaw/Kami ay Amerikano/mga Amerikano.

He/She is American.
Siya ay Amerikano.

You'll find some similarities with the English language even some jokes(just learned about this after watching the British TV sitcom 'My Family').

Please feel free to email me at xxxxxx if you have any questions regarding Philippines. It's the least that I can do to show how grateful I am for this website.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
S-V-O does make a big difference.

Thank you for the offer. I have removed the email address to stop it being read by spambots, but I have taken note of it. Thanks again. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.