• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

How to express these concepts correctly?

How to express these concepts in just one sentence? I tried to traslate it from my mothertongue language into English but I have found some difficulties.

- I also discovered small wet and slippery stairs leading downwards to the cellar: there was a system of dark tunnels (paths that would make lose the sense of direction to everyone). These tunnels were chilly, able to move around mixing themselves up with hundreds of incompleted, deceptive and unshaped puzzles, gloomily furnished, where a background noise of flowing water ran and where it could be heard whinings of spirits and the noise of the blowing wind.

Please, help me...! It's really difficult.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: How to express these concepts correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by dilodi83 View Post
    How to can I express these concepts in just one sentence? I tried to translate it from my mother tongue language into English but I have found some difficulties.

- I also discovered small wet and slippery stairs leading downwards to the cellar: there was a system of dark tunnels (paths that would make lose the sense of direction to everyone). These tunnels were chilly, able to move around mixing themselves up with hundreds of incompleted, deceptive and unshaped puzzles, gloomily furnished, where a background noise of flowing water ran and where it could be heard whinings of spirits and the noise of the blowing wind.

Please, help me! It's really difficult.
    You want ALL of that in one sentence?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    You want ALL of that in one sentence?
    I know it's difficult to write everything in one sentence, but that's how it is written in my own language. Anyway...if it is not possible to create a long and well-articulated sentence in English, could you help me with separated sentences?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by dilodi83 View Post
    How to express these concepts in just one sentence? I tried to traslate it from my mothertongue language into English but I have found some difficulties.

Please, help me...! It's really difficult.
    - I also discovered a small staircase, wet and slippery, leading down to the cellar. There was a system of dark tunnels where one could easily lose one's sense of direction. These tunnels were chilly, and gloomily furnished and seemed able to move around, mixing themselves into hundreds of deceptive and shapeless puzzles. There was a a background noise of flowing water and the whining of spirits, and the noise of the wind could be heard.
    My guess.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Thank you very much for your help!! It's perfect and the meaning is clear