that

Can that sometimes be omitted?

I'm now reading Emma and this is the sentence in question:

"...; for as to Frank, it was more than being tacitly brought up as his uncle's heir, it had become so avowed an adoption as to have him assume the name of Churchill on coming of age."

Maybe we can rewrite it as:
    "it was more than being tacitly brought up as his uncle's heir, that it had become so avowed an adoption as to have him assume the name of Churchill on coming of age", can we?

Thanks for your help.

Re: that

I'd be 'so that', but it changes the meaning, at least for me.

"...; for as to Frank, it was more than being tacitly brought up as his uncle's heir, so that it had become so avowed an adoption as to have him assume the name of Churchill on coming of age."

So that makes sense to me, and I can't see why it changes the meaning, Casiopea.

I once read somewhere that Maugham, the guy wrote Of Human Bondage, said Jane Austen's grammar was shaky and no one would model their writing on hers. Well, this is probably the proof. (While Jane was not good enough for M, I must say she most definately is for me!)
    Last edited by nonEnglish; 02-Oct-2005 at 15:58.

"...; for as to Frank, it was more than being tacitly brought up as his uncle's heir, it had become so avowed an adoption as to have him assume the name of Churchill on coming of age."
    It can be rewritten like this:-
    "...; for as to Frank, it had become so avowed an adoption to have him assume the name of Churchill on coming of age, (which was) more than to have him tacitly being brought up as his uncle's heir."
    Last edited by Temico; 01-Oct-2005 at 23:45.

Thanks Temico. So the original sentence is grammatically correct? Because this is the first time I see something like that.
    Last edited by nonEnglish; 02-Oct-2005 at 04:04.

Here's the structure:

EX: it was more than [that], it [was really about this].

EX: it [was really about this], which was more than [that] (Temico's addition)

Okey-dokey, I got it. Thank you so much, teachers.