Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. eddy143's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • South Africa
      • Current Location:
      • South Africa

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 82
    #1

    Post are the sentences right?

    Hi everyone, please could you check if the following sentences are right?
    1--You are waiting a short time for the bus now.
    2-You wait a short time for the bus everyday.
    3-You waited a short time for the bus yesterday.
    4--You will wait a short time for the bus tomorrow.

    Thanks a lot.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,626
    #2

    Re: are the sentences right?

    Quote Originally Posted by eddy143 View Post
    Hi everyone, please could you check if the following sentences are right?
    1--You are waiting a short time for the bus now.
    2-You wait a short time for the bus everyday.
    3-You waited a short time for the bus yesterday.
    4--You will wait a short time for the bus tomorrow.

    Thanks a lot.
    2, 3 and 4 are OK. 1 is not natural.

  3. eddy143's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • South Africa
      • Current Location:
      • South Africa

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 82
    #3

    Re: are the sentences right?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    2, 3 and 4 are OK. 1 is not natural.
    Million thanks bhaisahab. So how can we correct such a sentence using a present continuous tense?

  4. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #4

    Re: are the sentences right?

    Quote Originally Posted by eddy143 View Post
    Million thanks bhaisahab. So how can we correct such a sentence using a present continuous tense?
    With the present perfect continuous.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  5. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 6,002
    #5

    Re: are the sentences right?

    Your second sentence needs a correction. There is a difference between everyday and every day.
    http://www.macmillandictionary.com/d...rican/everyday

Similar Threads

  1. Are these sentences okay to say?
    By jomo27 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-Aug-2008, 12:22
  2. Are these 4 sentences right?
    By silviasabater_2000 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Apr-2008, 19:24
  3. A few sentences
    By nyggus in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-May-2006, 04:29
  4. What are loose sentences? Periodic sentences?
    By RonBee in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-Dec-2003, 01:13

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •