• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm 17 and I need your help

Hi!

I'm 17 and it's my second topic here, but I will write again, bacause I need your help. I moved to American about 1 year ago and I still don't understand movies, maybe 40%, I'm not fluent and I don't feel confident with my English. I'd like to improve my English, I'd like to understand, to speak, and to be confident. Many times I wanted go back to Poland because I don't have motivation to learning, I don't have many friends that I could meet after school, I spent my vacation surfing the net, and playing computer games, few times I hung out, but it's not enough for the guy like me - teenager. I don't want to complain, but I want some advices how to force myself and keep motivation, because many times I started learning vacabulary, and I stopped, because I was bored. Sometimes I feel bad, because I think that Americans don't want to hang out with someone who doesn't speak English, especially polish guy, like me. I don't have motivation to watch TV, learn something, of course I do my homework, talk with friends at school, but I think it's not enough to be fluent like in 2-3 year. I'd like to speak fluently before I leave High School, is it possible? How much time is it going to take for the person like me. I'm already 17, am I too old? Please answer for my topic and give me some advices how to keep learning, and how to learn efficiently. Thank You!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: I'm 17 and I need your help

Matt-
    Being a teenager sucks, and being told to 'just hang in there' doesn't help one bit, but that's about all anyone can tell you. It gets better.

If you want to learn English, then I do have one piece of tough advice: DO NOT hang out with Polish speakers. As hard as that may be, it's the best and quickest way to learn a new language- by immersion.

Born and raised in the US, sometimes I don't understand movies either. I often will turn on the subtitles on rented movies, so don't feel like you're the only one.

The basic building blocks of English are pretty simple, but the vocabulary is huge. Don't set unrealistic goals for yourself. Learning English is relatively easy. Mastering English is a lifelong process.

Read other posts on this forum. Note how many of the questions come from people who have made many, many posts. Note how many questions are asked by Teachers.

Just hang in there

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Re: I'm 17 and I need your help

Quote Originally Posted by J&K Tutoring View Post
    Matt-
    Being a teenager sucks, and being told to 'just hang in there' doesn't help one bit, but that's about all anyone can tell you. It gets better.

If you want to learn English, then I do have one piece of tough advice: DO NOT hang out with Polish speakers. As hard as that may be, it's the best and quickest way to learn a new language- by immersion.

Born and raised in the US, sometimes I don't understand movies either. I often will turn on the subtitles on rented movies, so don't feel like you're the only one.

The basic building blocks of English are pretty simple, but the vocabulary is huge. Don't set unrealistic goals for yourself. Learning English is relatively easy. Mastering English is a lifelong process.

Read other posts on this forum. Note how many of the questions come from people who have made many, many posts. Note how many questions are asked by Teachers.

Just hang in there

Hi teacher,

You said you did not understand those movies sometimes either.

I wonder why.

I am a Cantonese, I do not need to turn on the subtitles for Cantonese movies.

But for English movies, I must turn on the subtitles, even for kids movies. Otherwise, I can only recognize those conversations in 30% or less.

Some people teach me that turning off the subtitles when watching English movies. And keep repeating the movie until I can understand those conversations.

Is it a good method to force myself to improve my listening skill?