Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Dear Teachers,

do you know such idiomatic expressions as "sucked orange" or "squeezed orange"? Are they commom in English, if they exist at all? And what they mean?

Thank you in advance! ;-)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear Teachers,

do you know such idiomatic expressions as "sucked orange" or "squeezed orange"? Are they commom in English, if they exist at all? And what they mean?

Thank you in advance! ;-)
"squeezed orange(s)" is common. I have never come across "sucked orange".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But I know it only as a literal idea (i.e., freshly made orange juice) not as an idiomatic one.

Phantomkin1 - welcome to the forums, by the way, but what is the idiomatic meaning you intend?

Phantomkin1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
In the English-Lithuanian dictionary there are two English idioms: sucked orange (means "totally exhausted man") and squeezed orange ("person/thing not useful anymore"), but I can't find them in any dictionary of contemporary English (including almighty google). I always though that "clockwork orange" or "annoying orange" (some very funny cartoon I've recently discovered on youtube) are based on these idioms, but now I have doubts... :-|

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the English-Lithuanian dictionary there are two English idioms: sucked orange (means "totally exhausted man") and squeezed orange ("person/thing not useful anymore"),

I'm sorry, but I'm completely unaware of these idioms. Perhaps they are used in the UK or in other English-speaking countries.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Enjoy yourself while you are in Lithuania! You won't be sucking or squeezing many oranges when you visit the United States!

Of course, I am going for the quick chuckle here!!! :) I have never heard these idioms used in the US.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have seen a sucked orange used idiomatically in that way- it was used in the title of an album that recycled old songs. It's the only usage I can think of, and it's a pretty obscure one.

(A Sucked Orange by Nurse with Wound.
Titles like Pleasant Banjo Intro With Irritating Squeak, A Precise History Of Industrial Music or the inimitable Musical Bovine Spongiform (The Mad Cow Two-Step) may give you an idea of the delights in store)

Other than that, I have never come across it.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm sorry, but I'm completely unaware of these idioms. Perhaps they are used in the UK or in other English-speaking countries.
Until I read Tdol's post #7, I would have responded 'never' As he noted, it's pretty obscure.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.