Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"When two of the central characters graduate from their gated corporate community's high school, the one with a talent for bioengineering is admitted to the prestigious,wealthy Watson-Crick Institute; the one with a talent for words is schlapped off to the dilapidated Martha Graham Academy."

What does exactly "schlepped off to" mean here? Would it be close in meaning to "palmed off" bacause he got in his parent's hear and they just wanted him to go? Or it's such a nice academy and hard to get in?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To schlep is to carry something, usually heavy and awkward. It doesn't seem to be the right word for this sentence.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Schlep" is a Yiddish word that literally means to haul or to drag an item or items from one location to another and the entire episode is a miserable experience. For example, "The service was so bad at the airport - there were no carts available and I had to schlep my bags all the way to the bus depot." Or "The hotel claimed that it had lost my reservation (even though I'd made it a month ago!) and they put me on a broken-down shuttle bus that schlepped me off to some place that should have been condemned years ago."

So in this case the student is being "palmed off" or directed to a "second-best" school. The people in charge are assuring the student that the Martha Graham Acadmey is just as good as Watson-Crick, yet he has to haul all of his belongings himself onto a rickety un-air-conditioned school bus that takes him on a miserable journey to Martha Graham. When he finally gets there he immediately notices that appearance-wise, anyway, the school is in no way comparable to Watson-Crick.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"Schlep" is a Yiddish word that literally means to haul or to drag an item or items from one location to another and the entire episode is a miserable experience. For example, "The service was so bad at the airport - there were no carts available and I had to schlep my bags all the way to the bus depot." Or "The hotel claimed that it had lost my reservation (even though I'd made it a month ago!) and they put me on a broken-down shuttle bus that schlepped me off to some place that should have been condemned years ago."

So in this case the student is being "palmed off" or directed to a "second-best" school. The people in charge are assuring the student that the Martha Graham Acadmey is just as good as Watson-Crick, yet he has to haul all of his belongings himself onto a rickety un-air-conditioned school bus that takes him on a miserable journey to Martha Graham. When he finally gets there he immediately notices that appearance-wise, anyway, the school is in no way comparable to Watson-Crick.

There are a lot of routs in the Caribbean that are operated by small local airplane companies. Sometimes they fly small old planes. Coud I say that I was schlepped over to a small island by Bla Bla Caribbean?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are a lot of routs in the Caribbean that are operated by small local airplane companys. Sometimes they fly small old planes. Coud I say that I was schlepped over to a small island by Bla Bla Caribbean?

I don't think that you can use it in the passive voice. I'm pretty sure that it's just "to schlep", not "to be shlepped".

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I don't think that you can use it in the passive voice. I'm pretty sure that it's just "to schlep", not "to be shlepped".

Guess it's still "schlep". If you refer to post # 1, it's already in the passive voice?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Guess it's still "schlep". If you refer to post # 1, it's already in the passive voice?

I've been anxious to hear a word of a native speaker.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've been anxious to hear a word of a native speaker.

Home Country: UK
Native Language: British English
Current Location: UK
Member Type: English Teacher

Seem pretty native to me.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Home Country: UK
Native Language: British English
Current Location: UK
Member Type: English Teacher

Seem pretty native to me.

Can I be schlepped over by an Caribbean airplane company to an island?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are a lot of routs in the Caribbean that are operated by small local airplane companies. Sometimes they fly small old planes. Coud I say that I was schlepped over to a small island by Bla Bla Caribbean?

Yes. This would be traditional Yiddish usage. "I booked a package vacation deal with Acme Travel. It sounded like a good deal at the time but I ended up being schlepped from one island to another in a tiny plane that looked like the Spirit of St. Louis."

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
]

So it can be used in the passive voice?
Yes, as Ouisch has already said. I`ll just add that it can also be used as a noun. ``My niece moved to a nice house on Staten Island. To get there, you have to take the subway to the ferry, and then get a bus on the other side. It`s quite a schlep.``

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Yes, as Ouisch has already said. I`ll just add that it can also be used as a noun. ``My niece moved to a nice house on Staten Island. To get there, you have to take the subway to the ferry, and then get a bus on the other side. It`s quite a schlep.``

"Everyone was ready for some fuel after the Louvre so we schlepped into a bistro."

Does it mean "slowly walked into a bistro"?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"Everyone was ready for some fuel after the Louvre so we schlepped into a bistro."

I have to admit to not being a user of "schlep(ped)", but I don't find that sentence to be at all natural.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I have to admit to not being a user of "schlep(ped)", but I don't find that sentence to be at all natural.

"Every few minutes, a crowd schlepped up the station's slick pedestrian tunnel and pushed into the mouth of the storm." How about here? Does it mean "to slowly walk"?

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Every few minutes, a crowd schlepped up the station's slick pedestrian tunnel and pushed into the mouth of the storm." How about here? Does it mean "to slowly walk"?
Ouisch has already given the basic meaning. Almost certainly it has been used in the way you suggest, but it is difficult to say how acceptable that is, especially as the word is not particularly formal. There are 253 sentences containing the verb schlep(p) in Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA) . Read through all of them and see how the word is used.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The use of "schlep" here along with the mention of the Louvre implies that these are weary tourists carrying a lot of baggage - bags of souvenirs and trinkets, camera equipment, etc. So they sort of trudged over to the bistro, carrying all of their belongings with them. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.