Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Tear apart/Pull

  1. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Latin
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 136

    Tear apart/Pull

    Hi, how do you say when you pull something out until it breaks or it's removed from its base? Tear apart? Dug out?

  2. Ouisch's Avatar
    Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142

    Re: Tear apart/Pull

    Sometimes it depends upon the item (a tree? a statue?), but in general we would say either it was torn down from its base or ripped from or ripped off of its base.

Similar Threads

  1. Tear into shreds!
    By RoseSpring in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Dec-2010, 20:17
  2. [Idiom] on a tear
    By yuriya in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-Jun-2010, 02:04
  3. go on a tear
    By Yankees Fan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Jul-2008, 07:10
  4. tear the seawater apart
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Mar-2008, 14:23


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts