British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could you paraphrase the following, please:

1. "Payback's a bitch, buddy"
2. "Nuts like a fox"

As usual, could we have context for them, especially the second?!

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you paraphrase the following, please:

1. "Payback's a bitch, buddy"
2. "Nuts like a fox"

1. It ususally refers to a statement by someone who lost or whose team lost in their first contest/game/match and in the return event was the winner. It means I/we paid you back for beating us the first time and now you will know how it feels to lose.

2. Or "crazy(= nuts) like a fox" means he/she is very smart, as the fox has a reputation for being very clever. It is sometimes used in response when someone refers to a person as being not very smart by someone who disagrees.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Payback's a bitch" can also be used as a warning, that you may be riding high in victory now, but your time to lose will come.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Although it's not used frequently in BrE, I would have thought it would be possible for someone to say "Payback's a bitch" after they have been subjected to some kind of revenge attack.

Example:

A man has an affair and his wife finds out. She is very angry about the affair and decides to cut up all his clothes and pour pink paint all over his car while he's at work.

He comes home from work and discovers what she has done. He calls a friend and says "Oh my god! She's cut up all my clothes and ruined my car as revenge for the fact that I slept with that other woman. Wow. Payback's a bitch!"

In that example, "bitch" would mean "a terrible thing" so he's saying that the revenge that has been carried out on him is a terrible thing.

Last edited:

snade17

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Thanks a lot! You were most helpful!

snade17

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
1. It ususally refers to a statement by someone who lost or whose team lost in their first contest/game/match and in the return event was the winner. It means I/we paid you back for beating us the first time and now you will know how it feels to lose.

2. Or "crazy(= nuts) like a fox" means he/she is very smart, as the fox has a reputation for being very clever. It is sometimes used in response when someone refers to a person as being not very smart by someone who disagrees.

Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.