Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
I've heard 'Don't just do something-- stand there!' before, but now I just read an article which suggests that the saying is perhaps much older than I thought, even maybe of Buddhist origins.

Do any of you know more?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I've heard 'Don't just do something-- stand there!' before, but now I just read an article which suggests that the saying is perhaps much older than I thought, even maybe of Buddhist origins.

Do any of you know more?
Really, where did you read that?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Do any of you know more?

Yes.....I am reminded of the time the Buddhist monk went to a hot dog stand in New York City and told the proprietor: "Make me one with everything."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What is the sound of one hand clapping?:cool:

Laowai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
So no one has an 'Origins of sayings' book out there?

I recently saw an interview with the Dalai Lama on American TV, in which the presenter, in my opinion rather irreverently, told that joke about the hotdog to him. The Dalai Lama did not understand the joke, but the presenter broke down laughing.

I read it in a script to an audio file which came from VOA.

J

J&K Tutoring

This is not an 'old saying', but a sort of joke based on an old saying. "Don't just stand there- do something!" is an old saying that means, "Get busy". By reversing the word order, we use humor to gently tell a person who is 'running around like a chicken with its head cut off' to relax and analyze the situation to figure out the best way forward.

The Buddhist and the Hotdog Vendor is one of my all-time favortites, but I certainly wouldn't be so rash as to spout that one to the Dalai Lama!

Laowai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
Are you certain about the age of this saying? Just as you say, I thought it was just a jokey spin on the other saying, but now I'm not so sure. Anyone know when it was first mooted?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I always remember it as "Don't just do something - sit there".
"Sitting" (sitting in meditation) has a meaning in Buddhism that 'standing' doesn't. The version with "standing" doesn't seem quite so witty (assuming that "Don't just sit there - do something" is a legitimate version of the original), which I always thought it was.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Several sources I've checked do in fact state that "Don't just do something, stand there" is "attributed to" Gautama Buddha. But that's about as definite an origin as I can find.

By the way, did I ever tell you about the time Rene Descartes went out to lunch at an upscale restaurant? The server asked him "Would you care for a cocktail?" He considered for a moment and then replied "I think not." POOF! He disappeared. ;-)

GreyMan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is not an 'old saying', but a sort of joke based on an old saying. "Don't just stand there- do something!" is an old saying that means, "Get busy". By reversing the word order, we use humor to gently tell a person who is 'running around like a chicken with its head cut off' to relax and analyze the situation to figure out the best way forward.

The Buddhist and the Hotdog Vendor is one of my all-time favortites, but I certainly wouldn't be so rash as to spout that one to the Dalai Lama!

I've never heard this: "Don't just do something stand there - stand there!" But it's very useful.
Though I fear people it applies to wouldn't appreciate hearing it. :lol: That's experience talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.