Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I'm a translator into English. Recently, I got the job at work to make the English translation of folk tales for kids. There're a lot of nuances in this delicate business. Considering the fact I've never dealt with it before, I strongly need your assistance. Maybe,

1) any good English folk tales to read?
2) some tips on the language structure for children to read it well? (this is particularly important)
3) any resources where I could get the information about all this staff?
4) just some pieces of advice?
Many thanks

Also, I would appreciate immensely if there's someone who would agree to or would be interested in making remarks on my texts and giving his feedback as of a native.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a huge topic. I'd suggest starting with Andrew Lang's Fairy Books - (I'd post a Wikipedia link, but the site won't let me) - they're old, but when I was a kid (I was born in the 60s) they were still around and people read them in newer printings. There's also Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen; again it's old, but it's still read.

But do you specifically mean English (as in the country on the same island as Scotland and Wales) fairy tales, or tales in the English language?

Something else to think about is that sometimes people talk about fairy tales when they really just mean children's books. What sorts of things are you going to translate, and how old is the target audience?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd post a Wikipedia link, but the site won't let me

I'm afraid you can't post links until you have posted ten times- it is an annoyance for new members but it helps reduce spam.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Also, I would appreciate it immensely if there's someone who would agree to or would be interested in making remarks on my texts and giving his feedback as of a native.
You can try posting your work here: Editing & Writing Topics. I have to warn you, however, that you may not get much response. Most of us do not have enough time for that kind of work.

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
It's a huge topic. I'd suggest starting with Andrew Lang's Fairy Books - (I'd post a Wikipedia link, but the site won't let me) - they're old, but when I was a kid (I was born in the 60s) they were still around and people read them in newer printings. There's also Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen; again it's old, but it's still read.

But do you specifically mean English (as in the country on the same island as Scotland and Wales) fairy tales, or tales in the English language?

Something else to think about is that sometimes people talk about fairy tales when they really just mean children's books. What sorts of things are you going to translate, and how old is the target audience?

The tales I'm going to translate are not just fairy tales - they are folk tales having the folk background. So here I'm dealing not really with fairy tales. Although, they are still intended for children aged 4-6, maybe 7.
I mean exactly folk tales for the English children. And what I need is to imbibe as much as possible the characteristic features of the English folk tales. But the thing specific here is that those who'd been creating folk tales didn't actually imply them to be made for children only, so their language style may be now too grown-up for small readers, who don't even read yet and are just listening to their mum and dad reading these stories for them. So the clearness of style is very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.