Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    being hit suddenly vs being suddenly

    "I felt being hit suddenly by somebody on the arm." OK?

    OR

    "I felt being suddenly hit by somebody on the arm." OK?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,609
    #2

    Re: being hit suddenly vs being suddenly

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "I felt being hit suddenly by somebody on the arm." OK?

    OR

    "I felt being suddenly hit by somebody on the arm." OK?
    No, they are both wrong.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: being hit suddenly vs being suddenly

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    No, they are both wrong.
    How would you rephrase it "I felt that somebody hit me suddenly on the arm." using a complex object construction? "I felt being hit suddenly on the arm by somebody"? "I felt being hit suddenly on the arm "?
    Last edited by ostap77; 07-Sep-2011 at 14:03.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #4

    Re: being hit suddenly vs being suddenly

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    How would you rephrase it "I felt that somebody hit me suddenly on the arm." using a complex object construction? "I felt being hit suddenly on the arm by somebody"? "I felt being hit suddenly on the arm "?
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****


    (1) I am NOT answering your question about the placement of "suddenly." I shall leave that to our great teachers (and non-teachers).

    (2) I just wanted to gently point out that (IMHO) there is a big difference between:

    (a) I felt that somebody hit me.

    (b) I felt somebody hit me.

    (3) In (a) the verb means something like "think":

    I was not sure, but I felt (thought) that somebody hit me when I was getting off the bus.

    (4) In (b) the verb actually means your body felt a physical connection.

    (i) I actually felt something physical. What? Somebody definitely hit my body.

    (ii) I + felt + somebody [to] hit me. (The infinitive phrase "somebody [to] hit me"

    is the object of "felt." We do NOT say or write the "to" in such sentences.)

    (iii) In sentence (a), the grammar is quite different:

    I + felt (thought/believed) + that (conjunction) + somebody hit me (noun clause). [ "hit" is the past of "hit.']

    Usually, you do not need "that" to introduce a noun clause, but in your very

    interesting sentence, you need it to show the difference in meaning between

    sentence (a) and sentence (b).

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #5

    Re: being hit suddenly vs being suddenly

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****


    (1) I am NOT answering your question about the placement of "suddenly." I shall leave that to our great teachers (and non-teachers).

    (2) I just wanted to gently point out that (IMHO) there is a big difference between:

    (a) I felt that somebody hit me.

    (b) I felt somebody hit me.

    (3) In (a) the verb means something like "think":

    I was not sure, but I felt (thought) that somebody hit me when I was getting off the bus.

    (4) In (b) the verb actually means your body felt a physical connection.

    (i) I actually felt something physical. What? Somebody definitely hit my body.

    (ii) I + felt + somebody [to] hit me. (The infinitive phrase "somebody [to] hit me"

    is the object of "felt." We do NOT say or write the "to" in such sentences.)

    (iii) In sentence (a), the grammar is quite different:

    I + felt (thought/believed) + that (conjunction) + somebody hit me (noun clause). [ "hit" is the past of "hit.']

    Usually, you do not need "that" to introduce a noun clause, but in your very

    interesting sentence, you need it to show the difference in meaning between

    sentence (a) and sentence (b).
    Could I say "I felt being hit ........;."?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #6

    Re: being hit suddenly vs being suddenly

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Could I say "I felt being hit ........;."?

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****


    (1) I do not have the confidence to answer your question.

    (2) Hopefully, someone will answer your question and also the one about the

    proper position of "suddenly."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #7

    Re: being hit suddenly vs being suddenly

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****


    (1) I do not have the confidence to answer your question.

    (2) Hopefully, someone will answer your question and also the one about the

    proper position of "suddenly."
    So it would be what people might say but migh not be totally correct?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #8

    Re: being hit suddenly vs being suddenly

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    So it would be what people might say but migh not be totally correct?

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****


    (1) You are an excellent student, for you keep asking until you get a satisfactory answer.

    (2) When I woke up this morning (it's now around 2 a.m. here in California), I ran to my computer to read the teachers' answers. Alas! Nothing!

    (3) We non-teachers are warned not to offer answers unless we are pretty sure that we are correct. Since I am not pretty sure, I cannot say anything.
    Last edited by TheParser; 08-Sep-2011 at 10:58.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,609
    #9

    Re: being hit suddenly vs being suddenly

    "I suddenly felt somebody hit me on the arm." "It felt like somebody had suddenly hit me on the arm." "Suddenly, I felt a sensation like somebody hitting me on the arm."
    These are all possible constructions, there are others, it depends what exactly you want to convey.

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #10

    Re: being hit suddenly vs being suddenly

    As to the position of 'suddenly', I don't believe it matters (though, as Bhai said, both your sentences are wrong). And I don't think 'suddenly' collocates happily with 'hit'. If you 'suddenly felt yourself being hit on the arm', that would make sense; or you might 'become aware of being hit on the arm' (note that there's no need for 'yourself' here). You could also 'feel your arm being hit' or 'become aware of your arm being hit.'

    b

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. coming back suddenly
    By GUEST2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Jun-2011, 13:28
  2. it suddenly struck me
    By panicmonger in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2010, 12:02
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 16-Sep-2009, 10:35
  4. I suddenly thought of you.
    By flytothesky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2009, 13:26
  5. sudden or suddenly?
    By Zoe2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-Jun-2008, 07:00

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •