Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello, I couldn't understand the meaning of twee and crumpets in this sentence?

I talked to several of the summer school students in a campus café, the Tuck Shop. It’s very twee and crumpets. A hangout for undergraduates.

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If something is twee, it is sentimentally pretty in a silly way that the speaker disapproves of. A cafe that serves crumpets may well be twee to some people.

Personally, I love crumpets smothered with melting butter http://www.essentially-england.com/crumpets.html, but I am rather old-fashioned.

There is also a play on words -'tea and crumpets' is a twee institution.

shinem

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
So that should I translate this as that this cafe is serving these crumpets which is sentimentally pretty for people? Am I right?

By the way they look delicious :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So that should I translate this as that this cafe is serving these crumpets which is sentimentally pretty for people? Am I right?

By the way they look delicious :)
I have no real idea how you should translate that into your language. Possibly (and I am only guessing) something along the lines of:

I talked to several of the summer school students in a campus café, the Tuck Shop. It’s very much designed in the sickly taste of the 1950s, with old-fashioned decor and food - a typical sort of place for young students.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If something is twee, it is sentimentally pretty in a silly way that the speaker disapproves of. A cafe that serves crumpets may well be twee to some people.

Personally, I love crumpets smothered with melting butter Crumpets - delicious with tea!, but I am rather old-fashioned.

There is also a play on words -'tea and crumpets' is a twee institution.

I'm OK with crumpets but "twee" is new for me. On viewing the website , the crumpets resemble what are sold here in the U.S. as "English muffins".

shinem

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I talked to several of the summer school students in a campus café, the Tuck Shop. It’s very much designed in the sickly taste of the 1950s, with old-fashioned decor and food - a typical sort of place for young students.

Then as you're saying here twee is not the real meaning, it's helping for describing the cafe?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Then as you're saying here twee is not the real meaning, it's helping for describing the cafe?

Be careful with your "sickly". "Retro" is the new "sickly" or "old fashioned". And I can offer a list of "sicklies" that define or identify the youth of today.

shinem

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Sorry but I didn't understand your last post :(

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry but I didn't understand your last post :(

Let me explain. First, I don't think "sickly" (aka unwell/unhealthy/diseased) is an appropriate word to describe the decor that defines any era. So, I assume you meant to suggest that, given today's "standard", the decor was old-fashioned or non-standard. If that was what you meant, I would only say that any era is defined in many ways including decor, clothing, language etc.

The term "retro" is used most recently to describe current throwback to some previous era for clothing, decor etc. and is currently considered "chic". And my final point in my previious post was/is that, given today's "standard" being defined especially by the youth of today, leaves much of which to be proud in terms of decor, clothing and language.

shinem

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you for your explanation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.