[Grammar] Preposition: is this sentence correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Sentence:They used to do miss call to each other at night.

Question: Is this sentence correct? Are the prepositions correctly used? Does the sentence make sense to a native english speaker?

Thanks

Afit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Try this:

They used to miss each other's night calls.

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Thanks Afit. Does your sentence convey the same meaning as my sentence? Is my sentence wrong? Can I any teacher answer this?

Thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Sentence:They used to do miss call to each other at night.

Question: Is this sentence correct? Are the prepositions correctly used? Does the sentence make sense to a native english speaker?

Thanks
"They used to give a miss call to each other at night."
This would be quite commonly used in South Asian English (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka) to mean that they rang and then cut without connecting. It's not, as far as I know, common in any other dialect of English.

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
"They used to give a miss call to each other at night."
This would be quite commonly used in South Asian English (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka) to mean that they rang and then cut without connecting. It's not, as far as I know, common in any other dialect of English.

Oh! sire you are so correct :up:. You totally guess the situation :). Now I understood why so many native English speakers in other forums have trouble answering my query. If it was not for your knowledge of South Asian English, I would not have got the answer of my query. I knew Westerners have not a very good understanding of Asian world but I assumed/thought such types of miss calling/calls are common or would be common in the whole world. So wrong I was :shock:. Who says the whole world is now a village thanks to globalization?!:-D

Anyway, I am relieved to know my sentence, its grammar and its syntax was not wrong. :)

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suppose I would say:

They used to return 'missed calls' to each other at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.