Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
"A year out"

Does it mean it's currently one year until some event happens, or it's currently one year after some event in the past?

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"A year out"

Does it mean it's currently one year until some event happens, or it's currently one year after some event in the past?

It depends on the context. Could you use it in an example?

For example:
A: Happy 40th Birthday!
B: I'm only 39! You're a year out.
In this case 'a year out' means the guess was wrong by one year.

A: I'm not going to university this year, I'm taking a year out.
In this case 'a year out' means the speaker is taking a break from something for a year.

Those are two just off the top of my head, there are quite a few other meanings. Like I said, when you use it in an example, we should be able to help more.

EricaWW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
"This is not to say London won't put on a memorable Olympics, because it will be almost impossible not to. It is, of course, one of the world's great cities. Many of its venues are ready now. Its Olympic leadership is first rate. And it appears to be blessed with terrific athletic story lines a year out, the result of the continuing professionalization of the Olympic athlete."

"His dining room is full, but a year out from the BP oil spill, Caswell's nervous about the 500 customers who stayed away."

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"This is not to say London won't put on a memorable Olympics, because it will be almost impossible not to. It is, of course, one of the world's great cities. Many of its venues are ready now. Its Olympic leadership is first rate. And it appears to be blessed with terrific athletic story lines a year out, the result of the continuing professionalization of the Olympic athlete." (A year before the Olympics will begin)

"His dining room is full, but a year out from the BP oil spill, Caswell's nervous about the 500 customers who stayed away." (A year after the BP oil spill)
`

EricaWW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Are the usages of "a year out" demonstrated in the post two posts before this one informal, nonstandard, or slangy?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Please stop deleting and reposting your questions.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are the usages of "a year out" demonstrated in the post two posts before this one informal, nonstandard, or slangy?
I would consider "a year out" to be standard AmE.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
... but on the slangy side for us lot ;-) You'd hear it or BBC Radios 1, 2, and 5, but not on Radios 3 or 4. (In fact, you'd be lucky to get any sense out of Radio 1 - Is my age showing:-?

b

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

... but on the slangy side for us lot ;-) You'd hear it or BBC Radios 1, 2, and 5, but not on Radios 3 or 4. (In fact, you'd be lucky to get any sense out of Radio 1 - Is my age showing:-?

b
You'll have to educate us colonists, BobK!!!:cool:;-) Do you Brits line up your 5 BBC Radios and then listen to each one separately???? :lol::cool: If you do, you are definitely showing your age!!! ;-)

I prefer to say 'a year before' or 'a year after' rather than 'a year out'. However, a native AmE speaker would understand the meaning of 'a year out'.

EricaWW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Then, "a year out" is standard for AmE, but nonstandard for BrE?

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Erica, your "Current Location" is "United States". How frequently do you hear "a year out" being used in the conversations you have with AmE native speakers? :?:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

That's about it, but 'nonstandard' is a difficult word. There isn't a fixed standard, and what is widely used and accepted is a 'standard' that changes from day to day. In another 50 years it'll be standard B Eng, but right now it's not widely used (although it's understood).

b

Status
Not open for further replies.