Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"He admitted to fluorescent lamps being connected to certain hazards" OK?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It's grammatically correct. It would depend on the context whether it conveys the intended meaning or not.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It's grammatically correct. It would depend on the context whether it conveys the intended meaning or not.

The light of efficient light bulbs causes hormone imbalance and cardio-vascular disorders.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If he's admitting that fluorescent lamps can cause certain medical conditions, that's a terribly misleading sentence. It seems to be saying that fluorescent lamps were connected (electrically) to various physical hazards - for example, a fluorescent lamp was connected to a broken-down car blocking a lane to warn other motorists.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If he's admitting that fluorescent lamps can cause certain medical conditions, that's a terribly misleading sentence. It seems to be saying that fluorescent lamps were connected (electrically) to various physical hazards - for example, a fluorescent lamp was connected to a broken-down car blocking a lane to warn other motorists.

How about "being related to certain hazzards"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
How about "being related to certain hazzards"?
No. How about "causing certain medical conditions", if that's what you mean? (Unless you purposely want to be misleading)

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No. How about "causing certain medical conditions", if that's what you mean? (Unless you purposely want to be misleading)

1) He admitted to fluorescent lamps causing certain medical conditions-OK?

2) Can I relate symtoms to the cause of these symptoms? "He admitted to certain medical conditions being related to the use of lamps"-OK?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
He admitted to fluorescent lamps causing certain medical conditions-OK?
It depends, of course, on what he did admit to. But medical illnesses are generally not referred to as hazards.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It depends, of course, on what he did admit to. But medical illnesses are generally not referred to as hazards.
Hope I'm not being a pain in your .......

1)I meant that it's not certain whether they will get or not. I refered to it as a source of danger of getting disorders that might be caused by the use of those lamps.

2) What's your opinion on the use of the verb "to relate"? I looked it up in a dictionary and here's what I've come up with.

"1 [+ obj] : to show or make a connection between (two or more things)
▪ relate cause and effect — often + to ▪ Few of the people who became sick related their symptoms to the food they'd eaten the day before"

3)"I am not a doctor, but there are theories about depression being connected to nutritional deficiencies combined with the body's reduced capacity to absorb nutrients." It seems like symtoms can be connected to the cause of symptoms?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hope I'm not being a pain in your .......

1)I meant that it's not certain whether they will get or not. I refered to it as a source of danger of getting disorders that might be caused by the use of those lamps.

2) What's your opinion on the use of the verb "to relate"? I looked it up in a dictionary and here's what I've come up with.
See below.

"1 [+ obj] : to show or make a connection between (two or more things)
▪ relate cause and effect — often + to ▪ Few of the people who became sick related their symptoms to the food they'd eaten the day before"

3)"I am not a doctor, but there are theories about depression being connected to nutritional deficiencies combined with the body's reduced capacity to absorb nutrients." It seems like symtoms can be connected to the cause of symptoms?

There's nothing wrong with these verbs per se. But you need to consider the context.
You're talking about electrical equipment, and to say that lamps are connected to something implies a literal connection. "Electric lights are connected to heart disease" is an unfortunately-worded sentence, whereas "Depression is connected to nutritional deficiencies" is not ambiguous - even though I, personally, would not use 'connect' in this context.
Why use these vague non-specific words (connected to, related to) when you can say, "Depression is thought to be partly caused by ...", thus declaring your meaning.

If you're not sure of your meaning, or you want to be vague, "linked to" is probably much more used for causative links than the verbs you've chosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.