[Grammar] appalled by hearing or appalled to hear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wandersonxs

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello folks.

I have a doubt about the sentences below. Could you help me to find out whether they are correct?

I'm appalled (or shocked) by hearing that you were fired.

I'm appalled (or shocked) to hear that you were fired.

Thanks in advanced. :)

Cheers :cool:
Wanderson

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello folks.

I have a doubt about the sentences below. Could you help me to find out whether they are correct?

I'm appalled (or shocked) by hearing that you were fired.

I'm appalled (or shocked) to hear that you were fired.

Thanks in advanced. :)

Cheers :cool:
Wanderson
Only the second one sounds right. The first isn't colloquial. (It's grammatical, but no one would actually say it).
You might occasionally read, "He was appalled on hearing that Peter had been fired."

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Only the second one sounds right. The first isn't colloquial. (It's grammatical, but no one would actually say it).
You might occasionally read, "He was appalled on hearing that Peter had been fired."

How about "at"? "He was appalled at hearing that Peter had been fired."

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
@Raymott

How about, "He was appalled at your/Peter's having been fired."? It sounds absolutely grammatical to me (and I can't help but like possessive forms with gerund :-D ), but I wonder how it sounds to an English ear. :) (Even if you deem it to be unnatural, maybe your being right doesn't necessarily mean my being wrong. :-D Would you use a sentence like this? :-o I promise NOT to stretch it any further.;-) )

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
@Raymott

How about, "He was appalled at your/Peter's having been fired."? It sounds absolutely grammatical to me (and I can't help but like possessive forms with gerund :-D ), but I wonder how it sounds to an English ear. :) (Even if you deem it to be unnatural, maybe your being right doesn't necessarily mean my being wrong. :-D Would you use a sentence like this? :-o I promise NOT to stretch it any further.;-) )
"He was appalled at your having been fired" is grammatical but I would probably never use it. It's very formal and quite dated.

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Thank you for your prompt reply, bhaisahab. :up:

wandersonxs

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
thanks folks.
It really helped me.:)

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
@Raymott

I, too, like the possessive + -ing form. It is grammatically correct and I use it and frequently hear it when I'm in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.