Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,

I have been trying to figure out the difference in meanings between 'expect', 'wait', and 'hope'. Please help me clarify the following three sentences.

- I'm expecting guests.
Does it show that the speaker is pretty sure that the guests will come and the speaker is WAITING for them? but I can't think of a situation in which someone would say I'm expecting guests. Could you please give me an example situation?

- I expect to go there tomorrow.
I think it means (please correct me if I'm wrong) I think I'll go there tomorrow, because I have planned to or have made arrangements to go there tomorrow.(?) But does it also suggest that I HOPE to go there tomorrow?

- The officer expected his men to do their duty in the coming battle.
I think maybe it can be interpreted to mean that the officer DEMANDED his men do their duty, and he believed they would.(?)
But does this sentence also imply he HOPE his men to do their duty?

Thank you!

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My opinion:
- I'm expecting guests.
This is more likely to be, "I am expecting guests at any moment" said by a person explaining why they have to cut a telephone call short, for example.

- I expect to go there tomorrow.
I think it means (please correct me if I'm wrong) I think I'll go there tomorrow, because I have planned to or have made arrangements to go there tomorrow.(?) Not necessarily. If you have made plans to go, then you do not 'expect' to go. 'Expect' can have a meaning similar to 'I am reasonably sure that this is when it will happen'.
But does it also suggest that I HOPE to go there tomorrow? Not normally.

- The officer expected his men to do their duty in the coming battle.
I think maybe it can be interpreted to mean that the officer DEMANDED his men do their duty, and he believed they would.(?) Yes.
But does this sentence also imply he HOPE his men to do their duty? No. 'hope' suggests that he would not be too surprised if they didn't do their duty. Unless he lacks the confidence an officer should have, he is sure they will do their duty.
It is possible to say, "The officer expected his men to do their duty, but they let him down". However, this simply means that his beliefs were wrong, not that it was a hope.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
fivejedjon;799193- [I said:
I expect to go there tomorrow[/I].
I think it means (please correct me if I'm wrong) I think I'll go there tomorrow, because I have planned to or have made arrangements to go there tomorrow.(?) Not necessarily. If you have made plans to go, then you do not 'expect' to go. 'Expect' can have a meaning similar to 'I am reasonably sure that this is when it will happen'.
But does it also suggest that I HOPE to go there tomorrow? Not normally.]
Thank you so much, fivejedjon. Your explanations really help.

I'm not sure in what kind of situation someone might say 'I expect to go there tomorrow'. Could you please give me an example situation?

(I think I should try one first, to see if I really understand your explanations. Please correct any mistakes and please tell me if it's a appropriate occasion.:lol:
(after Japanese tsunami)
reporter: When are you and all your members taking off?
one of the rescue members: We expect to go there tomorrow. We still have some preparations need to be done.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
(I think I should try one first, to see if I really understand your explanations. Please correct any mistakes and please tell me if it's an appropriate occasion.:lol:
([STRIKE]a[/STRIKE]After the Japanese tsunami)
[STRIKE]r[/STRIKE]Reporter: When are you and all your members taking off?
[STRIKE]o[/STRIKE]One of the rescue members: We expect to go there tomorrow. We still have some preparations that need to be [STRIKE]done[/STRIKE] made.)
That sounds natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.