Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 1,637
    #1

    hair knots

    The hair so difficult to comb because there are a lot of knots.

    1. Do I call them knots?

    2. What should I fill in the blank of the following sentence?

    The hair are very _________.


    Ju

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,609
    #2

    Re: hair knots

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    The hair so difficult to comb because there are a lot of knots.

    1. Do I call them knots? Yes, or "tangles".

    2. What should I fill in the blank of the following sentence?

    The hair is very tangled.

    Ju
    Bhai.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #3

    Re: hair knots

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Bhai.
    ......or knotted.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 1,637
    #4

    Re: hair knots

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Bhai.
    The hair is so difficult to comb through because they have all been entangled with knots.

    1. Is the above sentence correct?

    2. I put The hair is & I put they have all been. I assume hair is uncountable. Am I right? Can I use plural form for the noun which is uncountable?


    Ju

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #5

    Re: hair knots

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    The hair is so difficult to comb through because they have all been entangled with knots.

    1. Is the above sentence correct? No.

    2. I put The hair is & I put they have all been. I assume hair is uncountable. Am I right? Can I use plural form for the noun which is uncountable?


    Ju
    If you say "hair is uncountable", which it can be, why did you use "they"?

    Should be "it has been". Hair can be countable also as in, "There were several hairs found at the scene of the crime."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 769
    #6

    Re: hair knots

    But just a question: is there a real difference between a knot and a tangle? Or are they used for different things?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #7

    Re: hair knots

    Quote Originally Posted by dilodi83 View Post
    But just a question: is there a real difference between a knot and a tangle? Or are they used for different things?
    Could be a difference. A knot is generally considered to be a particular configuration of string/rope/shoelace etc. e.g. overhand, figure 8, halyard etc. A tangle is a random configuration of material but in the context of the original post, either could be used.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,830
    #8

    Re: hair knots

    There's not much difference.

    My hair is really knotted.
    My hair is badly tangled.
    His hair is full of knots.

    I personally wouldn't use "tangle" as a noun in this particular context.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 1,637
    #9

    Re: hair knots

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    There's not much difference.

    My hair is really knotted.
    My hair is badly tangled.
    His hair is full of knots.

    I personally wouldn't use "tangle" as a noun in this particular context.
    Can I say,

    My hair is entangled.

    Ju

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #10

    Re: hair knots

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    Can I say,

    My hair is entangled.

    Ju
    No.

    Ju, you appear to be devoting a lot of thought to something that is not terribly important in the grand scheme of things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [General] tie somebody up in knots
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-Dec-2010, 10:18
  2. [Vocabulary] Her hair is down?
    By ssolsollala in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2009, 17:37
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Apr-2009, 13:26
  4. Some knots needed to be loosened
    By Deepurple in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Jun-2008, 02:57
  5. with/by your hair
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2007, 02:13

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •