[General] bundle/ go a bundle on somebody (something)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Van Corlear stopped occasionally in the villages to eat pumpkin pies, dance at country frolics, and bundle with the Yankee lasses.

bundle = to sleep on the same bed without undressing; -- applied to the custom of a man and woman, especially lovers

Brewing black, pungent liquor, Bryony, said he went the bundle on tea himself.

go a bundle on somebody (something)= be fond of someone (something), have a soft spot in one’s heart for someone (something)

V.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: I have a feeling this may be related to the Contract Bridge bid 'an abundance in <suit>' (which means you have high expectations for your partnership's chances). But don't take my word for it... ;-)

(Another Bridge-based metaphor is to do/think/say... something 'in spades' - spades being the highest-valued suit.)

b

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
[FONT=&quot]Hi [/FONT]BobK,

Thank you for your alternative explanation of the interpretation in question.

Thank you also for the further bridge-metaphor.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
I see what you mean, namely when you say you have something in spades means that you have more of it than other people. Certainly it may be good or bad.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
For instance, to say “Nick and Charlie both have intelligence in spades,” means they’re both really smart.
But to say “Michelle’s house has rats in spades” means that she has a problem.

My interpretation is based on the written in the following link:

going a bundle on - definition of going a bundle on by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

namely:

3. Slang a large sum of money
go a bundle on Slang to be extremely fond of

If you are really extremely fond of someone (something) you would be ready to lay out many, many money to gratify yours passion (in order to supply your needs of ….).
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your kindness of late days.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]V.[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.