Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Bolivia
Current Location
United States
Thank you for looking at my thread, I would like to know what's is the correct way to write o'clock without the contrast " ' " between the o and the c.

And thank you one more time....

schoolisathome

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you for looking at my thread, I would like to know what[STRIKE]'s[/STRIKE] is the correct way to write o'clock without the contrast " ' " between the o and the c.
I do not understand your question. The correct way to write the expression is as you did - with an apostrophe: o' clock.

schoolisathome

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Bolivia
Current Location
United States
Firstable, thank you for taking your time helping me. We are going through this words that use apostrophe (thank you by the way), words that are composed exemplo:doesn't, aren't, they'll and so on. We are using a grammar book which gives us a list and the word o'clock is the only word that we couldn't solve. I new that was the way to write it (just so you know English is my second language). But now since is in the list I'm doubting it. Help please!!

Schoolisathome

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[STRIKE]Firstable[/STRIKE] First of all (?), thank you for taking your time helping me. We are going through[STRIKE] this[/STRIKE] these words that use an apostrophe (thank you by the way), words that are [STRIKE]composed[/STRIKE] contracted, for ex[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]ampl[STRIKE]o[/STRIKE]e: "doesn't", "aren't", "they'll" and so on. We are using a grammar book which gives us a list and the word o'clock is the only word that we couldn't solve. I Knew that was the way to write it (just so you know English is my second language). But now since is in the list I'm doubting it. Help please!!
"o' clock" appears to be a contraction of "of the clock".

I am not sure what you mean by the sentence I have underlined.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Trinidad Tobago
I concur with the answer: I learned at primary school that o'clock was a contraction of "of the clock".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Whatever it was originally a contraction of, it is not used nowadays. It is "o'clock" and that is how it is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.