• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

English writing in Bible

Are all English writing in different versions of Bible, such as King James Version (KJV), Good News Edition (GNE), New International Version (NIV), New Jerusalem Bible (NJB), New Revised Standard Version (NRSV), grammatically correct?

I can’t figure out their syntax sometimes.
    Last edited by dawnngcm; 15-Sep-2011 at 16:55. Reason: add abbreviations

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: English writing in Bible

Quote Originally Posted by dawnngcm View Post
    Are all English writing in different versions of Bible, such as King James Version, Good News Edition, New International Version, New Jerusalem Bible, New Revised Standard Version, grammatically correct?

I canít figure out their syntax sometimes.

REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER

(1) What a great question.

(2) I think that you will get some very interesting answers from posters.

(3) I think (think!) that the English is certainly "grammatically correct" for the

time in which it was written. And some of the syntax and vocabulary are even

used today in poetry and super elegant speech.

(4) I just opened my King James version and saw this (Proverbs 16:32):

He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his

spirit than he that taketh a city.

(a) As you can, it uses "that" for the relative pronoun. Even today, "that" is

acceptable (better?) in certain sentences when referring to people, and -- of course --

the biggest (and most beautiful difference) is the use of "th" instead of

"s." I have read that there was a "contest" in England many years ago between

"th" and "s." Sadly (in my opinion), the users of "s" won the "competition."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The King James Bible is a masterpiece of the English language. Its words and phrases have permeated our language.

That said, there is a reason there are more modern versions. The meaning of the KJV is often lost on the modern reader. This is due to the natural drift of language over time.

The different versions of the Bible exist because of the use of different manuscripts for their source material and of different philosophies of translation. Some try to translate the underlying Greek or Hebrew as closely word-for-word as possible. Other try to capture the meaning of a passage by expressing it in modern language, using modern idiom instead of the idiom of the underlying languages.

There is a place for each philosophy of translation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

There have been many changes to the language since the KJV was published, and many passages will be opaque and difficult for native speakers, but many like it for the beauty of the language, which is why many consider it to be the 'true' translation, but one that does use the grammar of its time, which differs in some areas from ours.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]

I can’t figure out their syntax sometimes.
    Ask us about specific examples, Dawn.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Thanks all for your sharing!

I have a book called “How to Read the Bible for all Its Worth” by Gordon D. Fee and Douglas Stuart. In chapter 2, it wrote similar idea as SoothingDave said.

“The sixty-six books of the Protestant Bible were originally written in three different languages: Hebrew (most of the Old Test), Aramaic (a sister language to Hebrew used in half of Daniel and two passages in Ezra), and Greek (all of the New Testament).”

“…….the person who reads the Bible only in English is at the mercy of the translator(s), and translators have often had to make choices as to what in fact the original Hebrew or Greek was really intending to say.”

It also stated a term “Formal equivalence”. And it wrote,
    “Formal equivalence: the attempt to keep as close to the “form” of the Hebrew or Greek, both words and grammar, as can be conveniently put into understandable English.…….Translations based on formal equivalence will keep historical distance intact at all points.

Would it is the reason I underline above, some of English writing are not so grammatically correct?

I hadn’t marked them down specifically when I came across. Maybe I post them later when I find out

Here is a one but I’m not sure it’s a good example or it relates to syntax. I read different versions of the same verse, some of them seems have different meanings. However, they all should have the same meaning.

Ezekiel 25:10
    1. NJB: I shall let the sons of the East and the Ammonites take possession of them, so that they will no longer be remembered by the nations.
    The meaning seems different from others below.

2. NRSV: I will give it along with Ammon to the people of the east as a possession. Thus Ammon shall be remember no more among the nations,
    3. NIV: I will give Moab along with the Ammonites to the people of the East as a possession, so that the Ammonites will not be remembered among the nations;

I agree SoothingDave, KJV is the most difficult one for me to understand. Or I’m still far away from that level to understand them.
    Last edited by dawnngcm; 15-Sep-2011 at 18:00.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Here is a one but Iím not sure itís a good example or it relates to syntax. I read different versions of the same verse, some of them seems have different meanings. However, they all should have the same meaning.

Ezekiel 25:10
    1. NJB: I shall let the sons of the East and the Ammonites take possession of them, so that they will no longer be remembered by the nations.
    The meaning seems different from others below.
    Yes, that looks like a very strange translation, given that most (if not all) of the other versions (see link below) say differently.

2. NRSV: I will give it along with Ammon to the people of the east as a possession. Thus Ammon shall be remember no more among the nations,
    3. NIV: I will give Moab along with the Ammonites to the people of the East as a possession, so that the Ammonites will not be remembered among the nations;

I agree SoothingDave, KJV is the most difficult one for me to understand. Or Iím still far away from that level to understand them.
    Yes, they seem to mean different things. There's commentary here (towards bottom of page):
    http://bible.cc/ezekiel/25-10.htm

"The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. " http://www.catholic.org/bible/

Some of these apparent discrepancies will be for doctrinal reasons, and some will be different translations of ambiguous texts.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, they seem to mean different things. There's commentary here (towards bottom of page):
    http://bible.cc/ezekiel/25-10.htm

"The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. " http://www.catholic.org/bible/

Some of these apparent discrepancies will be for doctrinal reasons, and some will be different translations of ambiguous texts.

Thanks Raymott for useful links!

I think the Bible is the book with the most translations in the world.

When I compare meaning of the same verses with different translations, English and Chinese, findings can be very interesting sometimes.
    Last edited by dawnngcm; 16-Sep-2011 at 14:59.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Are all English writing in different versions of Bible, such as King James Version (KJV), Good News Edition (GNE), New International Version (NIV), New Jerusalem Bible (NJB), New Revised Standard Version (NRSV), grammatically correct?

I canít figure out their syntax sometimes.
    Poll: The wages of sin ____ death. - Language Polls - UsingEnglish.com

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

An example from book of Ezekiel (New Revised Standard Version [NRSV])

Is the underline sentence grammatical correct? Which situation will double “and” be used to connect three subjects/nouns in a sentence?

"Paras and Lud and Put were in your army, your mighty warriors; they hung shield and helmet in you; they gave you splendor." (Ezekiel 27:10 – NRSV)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast