• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Grammar Help

Dear all,

Would you please help me in categorizing the underlined part of the following paragraph.

Amid Vocal opposition, governing body members of the Delhi Development Authority will meet on Friday to formulate the farmhouse policey, aimed at regularizing 2000-odd farmhouses and allowing amusement parks, fitness centres and banquet halls on the premisis, depending on the size of the plots.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: Grammar Help

Amid Vocal opposition, governing body members of the Delhi Development Authority will meet on Friday to formulate the farmhouse policy, aimed at regularizing 2000-odd farmhouses and allowing amusement parks, fitness centres and banquet halls on the premisis, depending on the size of the plots.

Dear Teacher,

Acting upon your advice, I am giving my understanding on it, hoping to get assistance from you.

A) i don't know the meaning of "Amid Vocal opposition"

my guess is - it is completing the meaning of "where did Delhi Development Authority meet", shows adverb of place. So it can be a prepositional phrase working as adverb.

B) AIM can be a verb. Its subject is Delhi Development Authority. Most probably this is right as after "aimed at" gerund is coming which is the object.

C) depending on the size of the plots can be adverbial phrase or adjective phrase as it is describing about Verbal noun (regularizing, allowing)

Rajan

Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    I'm certainly happy to help. Help means to assist and I will assist you. This can be done by you writing what you think the answers are. Then, I will assist you by giving you my opinion of your answers.
    Last edited by rajan; 19-Sep-2011 at 06:28.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by rajan View Post
    Dear all,

Would you please help me in categorizing the underlined part of the following paragraph.

Amid Vocal opposition, governing body members of the Delhi Development Authority will meet on Friday to formulate the farmhouse policey, aimed at regularizing 2000-odd farmhouses and allowing amusement parks, fitness centres and banquet halls on the premisis, depending on the size of the plots.

REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER

(1) I have found your question really fascinating because I love to parse (analyze)

sentences, too.

(2) I cannot give you my opinions at this time because:

(a) You and I are waiting for Teacher Gillnetter's answer.

(b) Since your latest post was addressed to him, it is not my place to answer it.

(I am an old man who strongly believes in everyone keeping his place.)

(c) If, for some reason, Teacher Gillnetter does not answer this weekend, I shall

be delighted to answer, for I am especially interested in how one would parse

"depending on." Hopefully, Teacher Gillnetter or other teachers will answer us in the

next 48 hours.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

[QUOTE=rajan;800097]

(A) As I type, no one has replied. So I guess it's OK if I comment. I do not claim that these opinions are the correct answers.

(B) Your excellent and serious analysis helped and guided me as I was preparing my own analysis, which I based on a simplified version of your sentence:

Amid vocal opposition, the Authority will meet to formulate farmhouse policy, aimed at allowing amusement parks on the premises, depending on the size of the plots.

(1) (a) "amid" is a preposition = in the middle of something.
    (b) "amid vocal opposition" means something like "in the middle of/ while there is strong opposition."
    (c) Most people will agree with you that the prepositional phrase ("amid vocal opposition") modifies the verb "will meet."
    (d) In other words: The Authority will meet at the same time that there is (continued) vocal opposition to the farmhouse policy.

(2) (a) People will agree with you that "aimed" is a participle that modifies "policy."
    (b) You ask why the word is "aimed," not "aiming."
    (i) I do not have the answer.
    (ii) I can only offer a suggestion: "aimed" in your sentence is not the past. It is the past participle. I believe that "policy, aimed at XXX" = "policy, [which is] aimed at XXX." As you know, "which is aimed" is the passive, and the passive always requires the past participle.

(3) Again, I believe that you are correct: "depending on the size of the plots" is adverbial. As you said, it modifies the verbal noun (gerund) "allowing." In other words, the allowing of amusement parks on the the premises depends on the size of the plots.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Parser thanks for your response.

Adverbial clause tells various types of answers like cause and effect, reason, adver of place etc.

In this case what type of answer we are getting from ".........depending on the size of plots".

Rajan

(3) Again, I believe that you are correct: "depending on the size of the plots" is adverbial. As you said, it modifies the verbal noun (gerund) "allowing." In other words, the allowing of amusement parks on the the premises depends on the size of the plots.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by rajan; 19-Sep-2011 at 11:14.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) Without doing some research, I am not sure.

(2) I shall try to check my books and the Web.

(3) Hopefully, a smarter person than I will answer us. I, too, want to know: what kind of

adverbial clause is indicated by "depending on."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

"Amid vocal opposition" must mean that there are many voicing their discontent over a policy, vociferously opposing it.

Original:

A modified version:
    In an atmosphere of vociferous opposition, governing body members of the Delhi Development Authority will meet on Friday to formulate the farmhouse policy which is set to regularize 2000-odd farmhouses and allow amusement parks, fitness centers and banquet halls on the premises, depending on the size of the plots.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

We can also substitute "as depends on" for "depending on".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Bennevis View Post
    We can also substitute "as depends on" for "depending on".
    I don't think we can.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

[QUOTE=rajan;801459]

Adverbial clause tells various types of answers like cause and effect, reason, adver of place etc.

In this case what type of answer we are getting from ".........depending on the size of plots".

(1) Do you think that we may be dealing with an adverbial clause of condition?

(2) Here is what The Free Dictionary (online) says about conditional sentences:

They express "a condition on which something is contingent [dependent]."

(a) In other words, maybe (maybe!) "Allowing amusement parks on the premises,

depending on the size of the plots" = "Amusement parks will be allowed on the

premises if the size of the plot is considered sufficiently large."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast