Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does the underlined mean? Is it like "you show your instinct reaction to start your resolution, but if you get lazy like in the morning, it will be revealed"?
What does "your road work shows" mean?

ex)There is an old saying:Champions don't become champions in the ring - they are mereoly recognized there. That's true. If you want to see where someone develops into a champion, look at his daily routine. Former heavyweight champ Joe Frazier stated, "You can map out a fight plan, But when the action starts, you're down to your reflexes. That's where your road work shows. If you cheated on that in the dark of the morning, you're getting found out under the bright lights"....

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Flexes/road work refer to the rigorous and punishing training routines that boxers must endure.

If they neglect their fitness schedule, what they have failed to do in the gym or on the road (in 'the dark of the morning') will result in defeat in the ring ('under the bright lights').

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Flexes/road work refer to the rigorous and punishing training routines that boxers must endure.

If they neglect their fitness schedule, what they have failed to do in the gym or on the road (in 'the dark of the morning') will result in defeat in the ring ('under the bright lights').
Thanks. I had no idea what they meant. I now see that 'chated', which I took to be some strange black/boxer dialect word must be 'cheated'.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"you're down to your flexes. That's where your road work shows."
I would have guessed that "flexes" here meant "reflexes".

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"you're down to your flexes. That's where your road work shows."
I would have guessed that "flexes" here meant "reflexes".

I'm really sorry, I mistyped flexes for "reflexes",,,,

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

Rover
Sorry, flexes is "reflexes", so as you said, is "down to your reflexes" " you are responsible for rigorous and hard training"? Does down to mean "you have to take charge of something"? Dictionary offers too many definitions to tell.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Sorry, flexes is "reflexes", so as you said, is "down to your reflexes" " you are responsible for rigorous and hard training"? Does down to mean "you have to take charge of something"? Dictionary offers too many definitions to tell.
In this case it means that you have to rely on your reflexes.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You have worked so hard, for so long, with such dilgence, that once you are in the fight ring, you just rely on what comes naturally, in a reflexive response.

If you didn't work hard enough to have these reflexive actions, you can't win.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
You have worked so hard, for so long, with such dilgence, that once you are in the fight ring, you just rely on what comes naturally, in a reflexive response.

If you didn't work hard enough to have these reflexive actions, you can't win.

All I can say is "perfect", Your explanation is awesome!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.