• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Question 'The meet-cute'

Hello,

what is the meaning of 'The meet-cute' here?

The meet-cute: Gingrich was a high school student when he met Battley, who, at the time,happened to be his geometry teacher. He says that when they started dating he was 18 and she was 25, although Ginther insists that Gingrich was just 16 at the time the teacher-student courtship commenced.
    By reading the article (An Unabridged Guide to All of Newt Gingrich’s Wives), it is clear that this section is talking about how he met each of his wives, but I am not familiar with the term 'meet-cute'.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: 'The meet-cute'

Quote Originally Posted by Olympian View Post
    Hello,

what is the meaning of 'The meet-cute' here?
    The meet-cute: Gingrich was a high school student when he met Battley, who, at the time,happened to be his geometry teacher. He says that when they started dating he was 18 and she was 25, although Ginther insists that Gingrich was just 16 at the time the teacher-student courtship commenced.
    By reading the article (An Unabridged Guide to All of Newt Gingrich’s Wives), it is clear that this section is talking about how he met each of his wives, but I am not familiar with the term 'meet-cute'.

Thank you.

REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER

(1) Thanks for teaching me a new term.

(2) I consulted "Professor Google." The best answer I found comes from a book

entitled How to Shop for a Husband by Lieberman and Teller:

"Meet cute" is a Hollywood convention [something that was used in motion

pictures made in Hollywood, starting in the 1920's -- mostly in comedies] where

the main characters meet in an unlikely, amusing, or offbeat manner.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: 'The meet-cute'

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER

(1) Thanks for teaching me a new term.

(2) I consulted "Professor Google." The best answer I found comes from a book

entitled How to Shop for a Husband by Lieberman and Teller:

"Meet cute" is a Hollywood convention [something that was used in motion

pictures made in Hollywood, starting in the 1920's -- mostly in comedies] where

the main characters meet in an unlikely, amusing, or offbeat manner.
    @TheParser, you are welcome. Thank you for your response. I should use Google/Wikipedia more often. I only check the dictionaries usually. I found the following on Wikipedia on this phrase:

"A meet cute is a convention of romantic comedies in which two potential romantic partners meet in a contrived way in unusual or comic circumstances. A staple of the romantic genre, the technique creates an artificial situation contrived by the filmmakers in order to bring together characters in an entertaining manner. Frequently the "meet cute" leads to a humorous clash of personalities or beliefs, embarrassing situations, or comical misunderstandings that further drive the plot."
    Although Newt Gingrich does not seem to have met his 2nd and 3rd wives 'in unusual or comic circumstances', the author of the magazine article still uses this phrase (meet-cute) for describing how they met. But the way the article is written, the latter part of the above description (Frequently the "meet cute" leads to ....) may be applicable.