Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Banned
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Sep 2011
    • Posts: 3
    #1

    Arrow People Dead or Dead People

    Some part of a history book reads:
    "But such uprisings as the Ole Miss riots seldom come without victims. It had been a nasty night of fighting and resentment, and trails of blood and a ground layer of thick, powdery teargas residue lingered that following day. In the end, there were two people dead and 166 wounded."

    Why is "dead" after "people" but not before? I do know that "wounded" could come after "166 [people]" because it is formed from the verb "wound". But "dead" has no verb form.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,866
    #2

    Re: People Dead or Dead People

    Two people dead has a meaning similar to two people who had been killed.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #3

    Re: People Dead or Dead People

    Quote Originally Posted by LilyAm View Post
    Some part of a history book reads:
    "But such uprisings as the Ole Miss riots seldom come without victims. It had been a nasty night of fighting and resentment, and trails of blood and a ground layer of thick, powdery teargas residue lingered that following day. In the end, there were two people dead and 166 wounded."

    Why is "dead" after "people" but not before? I do know that "wounded" could come after "166 [people]" because it is formed from the verb "wound". But "dead" has no verb form.

    REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER


    I most respectfully suggest that it is a short way to write:

    In the end, there were two people [who were] dead and 166 [who were] wounded.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #4

    Re: People Dead or Dead People

    Quote Originally Posted by LilyAm View Post
    Some part of a history book reads:
    "But such uprisings as the Ole Miss riots seldom come without victims. It had been a nasty night of fighting and resentment, and trails of blood and a ground layer of thick, powdery teargas residue lingered that following day. In the end, there were two people dead and 166 wounded."

    Why is "dead" after "people" but not before? I do know that "wounded" could come after "166 [people]" because it is formed from the verb "wound". But "dead" has no verb form.
    Adjectives of quality e.g. 'happy', 'rich', 'alive' (or lack of quality as in 'dead') can go before their nouns or after some verbs such as 'be' (and its forms), 'seem','become'. (Practical English Grammar, Oxford University Press)

  2. Banned
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Sep 2011
    • Posts: 3
    #5

    Re: People Dead or Dead People

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    Adjectives of quality e.g. 'happy', 'rich', 'alive' (or lack of quality as in 'dead') can go before their nouns or after some verbs such as 'be' (and its forms), 'seem','become'. (Practical English Grammar, Oxford University Press)
    But in my example, the adjective of quality (dead) comes AFTER the noun (people).

  3. Banned
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Sep 2011
    • Posts: 3
    #6

    Re: People Dead or Dead People

    If "In the end, there were two people dead and 166 wounded." is acceptable, would "In the end, there were two people happy and 166 unhappy." be too?

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,838
    #7

    Re: People Dead or Dead People

    Quote Originally Posted by LilyAm View Post
    If "In the end, there were two people dead and 166 wounded." is acceptable, would "In the end, there were two people happy and 166 unhappy." be too?
    Acceptable, yes. Unusual, yes.

    However, I am not saying that we would normally say "in the end, there were two happy people and 166 unhappy people". The "there were" construction doesn't really fit. I would be more likely to say "In the end, two people were happy and 166 were unhappy."

Similar Threads

  1. [General] defect people / defective people / defected people
    By phoenixqn81 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-May-2011, 09:19
  2. [General] dead and gone/ dead and buried
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Aug-2010, 06:51
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2009, 10:54

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •