Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Hong Kong
I read a book and there was this sentence:

Neither Alex or Stephen was able to unlock the muscles of his neck and make him look downward.

"was" = past tense
"make" = present tense

I don't understand.

And then, there's this sentence "She made him convulse with joy". I'm not sure about this but I believe that "convulse" has to be in the present tense 'cause the sentence is in a S-V-0-V (subject-verb-object-verb) format and the second verb has to be in the present form. Am I correct on this?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Neither Alex or Stephen was able to unlock the muscles of his neck and make him look downward.

I don't fully understand what you're grappling with here. The verb "to make (someone) do something" means something like "to force someone to do something".

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I read a book and there was this sentence:

"was" = past tense
"make" = present tense

I don't understand.

REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER

I believe that this is just a short way to express two sentences:

Neither Alex nor Stephen was able to unlock the muscles of his neck.

Neither Alex nor Stephen was able to make him look downward.

Therefore:

Neither Alex nor Stephen was able to unlock the muscles of his neck and to make him look forward.

(I believe that the second "to" is optional. You may use it or not. The person who wrote the original sentence decided not to use it.)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Kyoma, have you been told that you must not use the past tense and the present tense in the same sentence?

Forget it; it's not true.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Neither Alex nor Stephen was able to unlock the muscles of his neck and to make him look forward.

(I believe that the second "to" is optional. You may use it or not. The person who wrote the original sentence decided not to use it.)
I agree with your analysis of the sentence, but not with this.

For some reason. 'to' in this sentence does not sound right to me, though it does in this one: Neither Alex nor Stephen was able to unlock the muscles of his neck or to make him look forward.

I can't for the moment think why this should be so. I shall go away and ponder.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I agree with your analysis of the sentence, but not with this.

For some reason. 'to' in this sentence does not sound right to me, though it does in this one: Neither Alex nor Stephen was able to unlock the muscles of his neck or to make him look forward.

I can't for the moment think why this should be so. I shall go away and ponder.

fivejedjon,

this is what we, non-native speakers, need - your true feeling of the language (text removed). Of course, "or" is correct here (if we are to use "to"). I've read so much quality literature in English that I've practically begun to feel the language. Away with unnecessary tension and animosity! Long live correct English and those who adore it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It sounds better to me without to in both cases- I would use and/or able to make or and/or make, though it's OK to use to.

Status
Not open for further replies.