Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi,

As you probably know some older people who don't hear well have a special device in each ear, which helps them hear and recognise words much better. I am wondering what are the idiomatic words for this device. In the dictionary I've found "deaf aid", "hearing aid", and even "ear".

Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When I was young, many years ago, it was a deaf aid. It seems to be a hearing aid these days.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
When I was young, many years ago, it was a deaf aid. It seems to be a hearing aid these days.

OK, so it's hearing aid. Could you please tell me how exactly "hearing aid" is used in modern English? I'll provide some sentences in order to find out whether they are correct or not:

1) "Does anyone have a hearing aid?"

2) "Does anyone have hearing aid?"

4) "How many hearing aids do you have?" (that's a question to a group of people)

I wonder if we can use the indefinite article before "hearing aid" and if we can use this expression in the plural.

Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1) "Does anyone have a hearing aid?":tick: It's a countable device.

2) "Does anyone have hearing aid?" X

4) "How many hearing aids do you have?" (that's a question to a group of people) That's an odd question to ask of a group of people. You might ask it of one person, if you are being rather personal.

I wonder if we can use the indefinite article before "hearing aid" and if we can use this expression in the plural. Yes. Yes.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Saying "hearing aid" we mean two devices (in both ears) or sometimes only one (in the latter case there is point in using the plural form)?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Saying "hearing aid" we mean two devices (in both ears) or sometimes only one (in the latter case there is point in using the plural form)?
If we have one, we have a hearing aid; if we have two, we have hearing aids. A hearing aid is an aid, countable.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
If we have one, we have a hearing aid; if we have two, we have hearing aids. A hearing aid is an aid, countable.

I mean a different thing, though. For example, imagine there are two persons in a small group. One has only one device (say, in his left ear), the other one has two in both. I'm asking a question: "Do you have a hearing aid?" In this case person #1 should say "Yes!" because he has only one, whereas person #2 should say "Yes, I have two of them". Correct?

How should I ask a question aimed at finding out whether a person has at leatst one hearing aid without specifying how many they have (one or two)?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I mean a different thing, though. For example, imagine there are two persons in a small group. One has only one device (say, in his left ear), the other one has two in both. I'm asking a question: "Do you have a hearing aid?" In this case person #1 should say "Yes!" because he has only one, whereas person #2 should say "Yes, I have two of them". Correct? Person #2 might well just answer "Yes". He may or may not decide to reveal that he has two.

How should I ask a question aimed at finding out whether a person has at leatst one hearing aid without specifying how many they have (one or two)?
What is it with you and hearing aids?

If you wish to be sure, then be explicit - "For reasons that do not concern you, I wish to know whether you are wearing a hearing aid, or possibly two. The number is not actually important, so just answer 'yes' if you are wearing one or two, and 'no' if you are wearing none". That should do the trick.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Would like to know why this is important to me? As I've said before, I'm now working as a guide and when I give tours of museums I distribute receivers and earplugs to tourists because when we are inside we use them. If people have any number of hearing aids, it's hard for them to use earphones since they might hear nothing. When I determine how many people can't use receivers, I tell these people to stand closer to me inside so as to make it more convenient for them. If a person has a hearing aid in only one ear, it's fine because he'll hear me speaking with the help of the other ear. Actually I have to ask a question addressed to those having TWO hearing aids.

What is it with you and hearing aids?

If you wish to be sure, then be explicit - "For reasons that do not concern you, I wish to know whether you are wearing a hearing aid, or possibly two. The number is not actually important, so just answer 'yes' if you are wearing one or two, and 'no' if you are wearing none". That should do the trick.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Would like to know why this is important to me? As I've said before, I'm now working as a guide and when I give tours of museums I distribute receivers and earplugs to tourists because when we are inside we use them. If people have any number of hearing aids, it's hard for them to use earphones since they might hear nothing. When I determine how many people can't use receivers, I tell these people to stand closer to me inside so as to make it more convenient for them. If a person has a hearing aid in only one ear, it's fine because he'll hear me speaking with the help of the other ear. Actually I have to ask a question addressed to those having TWO hearing aids.
Then be explicit:

"If you have a hearing aid or aids and cannot use earphones, then try to stand close to me so that you can hear what I am saying." Leave it to them to sort out whether they can use the earphones or not.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Then be explicit:

"If you have a hearing aid or aids and cannot use earphones, then try to stand close to me so that you can hear what I am saying." Leave it to them to sort out whether they can use the earphones or not.

OK. Thanks. One more (final) comment which doesn't concern the usage of "hearing aid". I normally say the phrase you've offered, but in a slightly different way: "If you have a hearing aid or aids and cannot use earphones, then try to stand close to me so that you will be able to hear what I am saying." "Will be able" because I address the future, which will happen when we get to a museum. Is that correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

milan2003_07

Member Type