Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There is no class tomorrow.
There will be no class tomorrow. Can I use present for the future meaning.
Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is no class tomorrow.
There will be no class tomorrow. Can I use present for the future meaning?
Thank you.

Yes.

However, please note that "to be" is the only verb where you use the present simple to represent the future. With other verbs, we use the present continuous.

I'm going to class tomorrow = I will go to class tomorrow.
He is playing football next week = He will play football next week.
They are climbing Everest in 2012 = They will climb Everest in 2012.

There is a very good play on at the theatre tomorrow evening = There will be a very good play on at the theatre tomorrow evening.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
However, please note that "to be" is the only verb where you use the present simple to represent the future. With other verbs, we use the present continuous.
The present simple is not infrequently used for future events, especially in what is sometimes known as the 'sceduled'' or 'timetabled' future.:

I leave for New York next Friday.

The following note is from http://www.gramorak.com/Articles/Future.pdf
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In English, as in many Indo-European languages, the so-called ‘Present’ tense functions more like a default tense; it is used when there is no need for any additional temporal or aspectual information carried by other forms. The time of the situation denoted by the present simple tense of the verb can be past [8], present [9], ‘general’ [10] or future [11]:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. [FONT=&quot]Jane tells me you've not been too well since you got back. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. [FONT=&quot]My stomach hurts. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10. [FONT=&quot]I never drink alone. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11. [FONT=&quot]The UN General Assembly opens in New York late this month. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thus, in our example of Emma’s flight, if we imagine the speaker mentally seeing Emma's schedule and presenting a neutral fact, without any of the overtones suggested by other ways of expressing the future the realization will be:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Emma flies to London next week.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] The futurity is shown by the context or by explicit time-markers. [/FONT]

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Fair point. I should go back to bed! :oops:

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Yes.

There is a very good play on at the theatre tomorrow evening = There will be a very good play on at the theatre tomorrow evening.

Dear teacher,

I'm very confused when I read the use of " will./shall " from a famous grammar book recently. It says "Do not use I'll ...for something you decided before.

e.g I'm working tommoow.(not 'I'll work)

When I was a student, the English teachers told us to use the future tense to represent the future.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear teacher,

I'm very confused when I read the use of " will./shall " from a famous grammar book recently. It says "Do not use I'll ...for something you decided before.

When I was a student, the English teachers told us to use the future tense to represent the future.
There is no future tense in English. We use several different ways to talk about the future, one of which is the present simple, as described by previous posters.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

According to emsr2d2 https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/155076-present-future-meaning.html#post801033

I sincerelly want to know if there is any difference between the following sentences.

1) I'm working tommoow .(not 'I'll work)
2) I'm going to class tomorrow = I will go to class tomorrow.

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The present continuous can suggest an arrangement that has been made for the future.
I am flying to London tomorrow.

BE + going to
can suggest a future happening for which there is present evidence:
Look at those dark clouds; it's going to rain soon.
I am going to see the new Smiley film with Andrea.

The present simple can suggest somehing that is scheduled or timetabled:
President Obama flies to Moscow next week.

Will
('ll) can suggest certainty or volition:
There will be hotels on the moon by 2050
I'll drive you to the airport tomorrow.

There is a lot more boring information here: http://www.gramorak.com/Articles/Future.pdf

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
http://www.gramorak.com/Articles/Future.pdf

BE (do)ING and BE GOING TO (do)

2.1. The Present Progressive (also known as the Present Continuous)

A better name for this aspect might be durative, as it is used when he speaker wishes to indicate that the situation spoken of has duration, and that that duration is limited, i.e. it has a beginning and end. Precisely when the beginning and end are may not be important, but the fact that they are there, and are not considered remote in time are important. Consider these three utterances:
Which Form?

Which Form?
The approach to ways of expressing to futurity outlined in the sections above means that students are far freer to choose for themselves the future form they wish than may appear in some grammars and course books. Far more possible utterances are acceptable than is implied by many gap-fill exercises. However, this is not to suggest that all this is given to the student in one 30-minute "here's the truth about the future" class. All that is suggested here is that the choice of future form is less arbitrary than sometimes appears, and that teachers aware of this can refrain from over-simple 'rules' that may soon confuse the student.

Can anybody help me for the followings?

Queston 1. What does "duration is limited" mean? Can it be one month or one year?

Question 2. What does "far freer" mean? I couldn't find these words in the dictionary.

Qustion 3. What does " the choice of future form is less arbitrary than sometimes appears" mean?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Queston 1. What does "duration is limited" mean? Can it be one month or one year?
It can be any time period provided that it is long enough to be considered to have duration, and that its limits are set - i.e. it has a beginning and an end.

Question 2. What does "far freer" mean? I couldn't find these words in the dictionary.
Much more free.

Question 3. What does " the choice of future form is less arbitrary than sometimes appears" mean?
It sometimes appears to learners that the choice of which form to use for a future situation is not based on any reasonable/logical system. In fact there is more reason and logic in the system than may appear.

edmondjanet

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yes.

Sir, I referred some grammar books, now I am totally cofused about the usage of future tense "present contiuous or will"
Will you come tomorrow? or
Are you coming tomorrow?

Will you do this? or
Are you doing this?
Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sir, I referred some grammar books, now I am totally cofused about the usage of future tense "present contiuous or will"
Will you come tomorrow? or
Are you coming tomorrow?

Will you do this? or
Are you doing this?
Thank you.

They're both correct. You'll find one or the other more common, probably depending on where you are. Sometimes they mean exactly the same and sometimes there will be a subtle difference in meaning. It's one of those subtle differences that comes with time and with speaking to/with native speakers a lot. You won't get a definitive answer on which to use in all circumstances on here (I've probably just guaranteed that I'm about to be proved wrong, of course! ;-))

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
They're both correct. You'll find one or the other more common, probably depending on where you are. Sometimes they mean exactly the same and sometimes there will be a subtle difference in meaning. It's one of those subtle differences that comes with time and with speaking to/with native speakers a lot. You won't get a definitive answer on which to use in all circumstances on here (I've probably just guaranteed that I'm about to be proved wrong, of course! ;-))
I'm not going to prove you wrong, but in the second example "Will you do this?" and "Are you doing this?" there is a clear difference IMO. It would be less clear if it were "Are you going to do this?" as opposed to "Will you do this?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not going to prove you wrong, but in the second example "Will you do this?" and "Are you doing this?" there is a clear difference IMO. It would be less clear if it were "Are you going to do this?" as opposed to "Will you do this?"

You're absolutely right and I totally misread that post - I thought it said "Are you going to do this?", not "Are you doing this?"

However, if it were "Are you doing this tomorrow?" I would say it has the same meaning as "Will you do this tomorrow?" and "Will you be doing this tomorrow?"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You're absolutely right and I totally misread that post - I thought it said "Are you going to do this?", not "Are you doing this?"

However, if it were "Are you doing this tomorrow?" I would say it has the same meaning as "Will you do this tomorrow?" and "Will you be doing this tomorrow?"
I would say that it could have a similar meaning. It could also have quite a different meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.