Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 36
    #1

    Apostrophes

    Teachers must have the students pack away all their books and belongings.

    Do I need any apostrophes in this sentence? I am confused about where to put an apostrophe for teachers.

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: Apostrophes

    Quote Originally Posted by Shosht View Post
    Teachers must have the students pack away all their books and belongings.

    Do I need any apostrophes in this sentence? I am confused about where to put an apostrophe for teachers.
    No apostrophes necessary. Teachers is a simple plural form.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 36
    #3

    Re: Apostrophes

    Thank you for such a quick reply. :)

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #4

    Re: Apostrophes

    Quote Originally Posted by Shosht View Post
    Thank you for such a quick reply. :)
    That one was comparatively straightforward..

    You may be interested in these:

    1.The teachers are in the library. More than one teacher.
    2. The teacher's books are in the library. The books of one teacher.
    3. The teachers' books are in the library. The books of more than one teacher.
    4. The Teachers Books are in the library.
    The books for teachers that are designed to accompany a course
    5. The teacher's reading a book. The teacher is reading a book.
    6. The teacher's read a book.
    The teacher has read a book.

    Note that some people feel that Teachers Book (#4) should be Teacher's Book or Teachers' Book. The version I have given is the one most publishers use.

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #5

    Re: Apostrophes

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    ...
    Note that some people feel that Teachers Book (#4) should be Teacher's Book or Teachers' Book. The version I have given is the one most publishers use.


    I used to subscribe to Writers News. The lack of apostrophe was the subject of more than one Letter to the Editor!

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,934
    #6

    Re: Apostrophes

    Private Eye had a long discussion about whether they should call a column Pedant's Corner or Pedants' Corner and settled on Pedantry Corner.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #7

    Re: Apostrophes

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post


    I used to subscribe to Writers News. The lack of apostrophe was the subject of more than one Letter to the Editor!

    b

    REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER


    (1) As a fan of British newspapers, may I point out that there was once a newspaper

    called Reynolds's News. It went modern in 1936 by becoming simply Reynolds News.


    (a) As Stephen Koss wrote in his tour de force The Rise and Fall of the Political Press

    in Britain, the newspaper "dropped its cumbersome [my emphasis] apostrophe."

    (2) Perhaps "cumbersome" is the most appropriate word to describe the use of the

    apostrophe in many titles. Writers News is nice and clean. An apostrophe is just

    clutter, in the opinion of some people.

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #8

    Re: Apostrophes

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    An apostrophe is just clutter, in the opinion of some people.
    Its clear that in many peoples opinion's the apostrophes had it's day except in certain case's which are beyond the average persons comprehension.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #9

    Re: Apostrophes

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Its clear that in many peoples opinion's the apostrophes had it's day except in certain case's which are beyond the average persons comprehension.

    REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER


    (1) I love British humor and your reputation for understatement. For example, one

    famous lady author referred to a murder as that "unpleasantness." Priceless!

    (2) But I am worried that some learners might not get the point. So may I most

    respectfully show them how important apostrophes are when we are not talking

    about titles?

    It's clear that in many people's opinions, the apostrophe has had its day,

    except in certain cases which are beyond the average person's comprehension.

  5. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #10

    Re: Apostrophes

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ...
    (2) Perhaps "cumbersome" is the most appropriate word to describe the use of the

    apostrophe in many titles. Writers News is nice and clean. An apostrophe is just

    clutter, in the opinion of some people.
    'Clutter' is a good word too! A colleague of mine in the Design Department at OUP (many years ago) disliked it on grounds of visual cleanness. (especially on a dust-jacket [=the usually glossy paper cover that usually covers a hard-back]).

    b

Similar Threads

  1. Use of apostrophes
    By loriethe in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Apr-2011, 22:22
  2. apostrophes
    By Offroad in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2008, 23:55
  3. Apostrophes use of
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Mar-2008, 01:59
  4. apostrophes
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 16-Sep-2007, 08:29
  5. apostrophes
    By gailk in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-Sep-2007, 11:23

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •