Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
How to speak fluent English? My English writing skills are OK but when it comes to speaking , I stutter a lot. It disturbs me a lot and directly impacts my work. Please suggest some tips to improve my communication skills.

Thanks in advance. :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you only stutter when speaking English?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
How to speak fluent English? My English writing skills are OK but when it comes to speaking , I stutter a lot. It disturbs me a lot and directly impacts my work. Please suggest some tips to improve my communication skills.

One exercise you can do is recording your speech when reading spoken English materials and then listening to your recordings. It could be dialogues written in immaculate English. By doing this, you make your brain work on your English on the subliminal level. I've used this technique with my students and seen good results. Basically, everyday speech consists of certain speech patterns. Try to identify them and learn them by heart. Although nothing can be compared to actually living in an English-speaking country. That's where the real learning takes place. If you don't have this opportunity, try to watch native speaker TV programs and youtube videos. Take it easy!

Last edited:

Engrd

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks for responding. :)

Yeah, I stutter a lot when I try to speak in English @ Tdol.

Thank you very much for your valuable suggestions. I will try to work on them. @ Bennevis.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
OK, that makes it easier to deal with. In what kinds of situations do you have to speak English?

oozy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

I have 2 advices:
1) Go to your local Toastmasters club. You can practise there your English and Communication Skills.
2) Use ebooks from www . goodslides . com for improving of presentation skills. They are perfect for working on speech projects in Toastmasters.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.