• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

don't know how to put it

"In a press conference, dedicated to the current economic situation, participated representatives of the mass media,(here I need to say that they discussed further ways of development)." Could I say "....., further ways of development being discussed"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: don't know how to put it

Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "
    No.

The original sentence is clumsy. It would be better as: In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, representatives of the mass media participated.

Even better: Representatives of the mass media participated in a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation.

It seems unnecessary to say this, however. Press conferences are set up for the participation of representatives of the mass media.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    No.

The original sentence is clumsy. It would be better as: In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, representatives of the mass media participated.

Even better: Representatives of the mass media participated in a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation.

It seems unnecessary to say this, however. Press conferences are set up for the participation of representatives of the mass media.
    The representatives of the mass media were a participating party not just doing the coverage.

1)"In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, representatives of the mass media participated, (here I need to say that they discussed further ways of development)." How would you add the part in brackets without making it a separate question?

2)"In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, representatives of the mass media participated,discussing further ways of devlopment.? I need to convey a meaning that they didn't just talk but came to a conclusion through talking.
    Last edited by ostap77; 19-Sep-2011 at 12:22.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

The press conference, dedicated to the current economic situation, saw representatives of the mass media discuss further ways of economic development.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The representatives of the mass media were a participating party not just doing the coverage.

1)"In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, representatives of the mass media participated, (here I need to say that they discussed further ways of development)." How would you add the part in brackets without making it a separate question?

2)"In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, representatives of the mass media participated,discussing further ways of devlopment.? I need to convey a meaning that they didn't just talk but came to a conclusion through talking.

REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER

Maybe something like:

In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, media

representatives not only asked questions of the participants but also contributed

their own ideas for further economic development.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

One thing that makes it difficult for Russian translators to convey an idea like that is that in Russian you can start a sentence with an adverbial modifier of place, followed by a verb and then a subject.

If we don't know anything about the conference, and that's the beginning of a news report, we could probably say:

A press conference dedicated to the current economic situation saw media representatives take part in discussion of further economic development.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post

Maybe something like:

In a press conference dedicated to the current economic situation, media

representatives not only asked questions of the participants but also contributed

their own ideas for further economic development.
    I was trying to translate from Ukrainian into English. I'm supposed to stick to the original sentence as if I was interpreting it simultaneously without chaging it. Any ways to say it without changing it?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Bennevis View Post
    One thing that makes it difficult for Russian translators to convey an idea like that is that in Russian you can start a sentence with an adverbial modifier of place, followed by a verb and then a subject.

If we don't know anything about the conference, and that's the beginning of a news report, we could probably say:

A press conference dedicated to the current economic situation saw media representatives take part in discussion of further economic development.
    I'm going to translate it from Ukrainian into Russian.

"В конференции, посвященной економической ситуации, взяли участие преставители средств массовой тнформаци, обговорив пути дальнейшего развития государства."

As I've already said I'm supposed to stick to the original sentence as if I was translating it simultaneously.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I was trying to translate from Ukrainian into English. I'm supposed to stick to the original sentence as if I was interpreting it simultaneously without chaging it. Any ways to say it without changing it?

(1) Please excuse my ignorance, but are there some similarities between Ukrainian

and Russian?

(2) If there are, I am sure that Teacher Bennevis would be the one more qualified than

I to answer your great question.

(3) If you were an interpreter at the United Nations and your president were

speaking in Ukrainian, you would be expected to translate into English without

any big changes in wording, etc. Yes, I now understand the difficulty of your task!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

I'm going to translate it from Ukrainian into Russian.

"В конференции, посвященной економической ситуации, взяли участие преставители средств массовой тнформаци, обговорив пути дальнейшего развития государства."

As I've already said I'm supposed to stick to the original sentence as if I was translating it simultaneously.
    I got it. The best I can suggest for you is the version above, which is:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast