Stop at the red light
Stop on the red light

Take a turn on a red light
take a turn at a red light

Take a turn on the red light
Take a turn at the red light

Right turn on red
Right turn at red

Could you please tick them right or wrong?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Stop at the red light :tick:
Stop on the red light

take a turn at a red light

Take a turn at the red light

Right turn on red
Right turn at red

Which ones do you think are correct?

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Which ones do you think are correct?

Taking a guess now since with all the versions I've seen, I'm simply not sure. I'd say all of them could work.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Stop at the red light :tick:
Stop on the red light

take a turn at a red light:tick:

Take a turn at the red light:tick:

Right turn on red
Right turn at red

In such situations, "at" is used when we use something as a reference point or a sign at which we are going to do something.
For example,
"Turn right at the traffic light" can mean "turn right as soon as you get to (or see) the traffic light".
I do feel there is more to it, though. And I'd like to know what native speakers think of the last two phrases.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If we are talking of traffic lights, then my view is:
Stop at the red light ?.....Stop on the red light ?/:tick:

Take a turn on a red light X.....take a turn at a red light X
Take a turn on the red light X....Take a turn at the red light X
Right turn on red X.....Right turn at red X
I think you could be told to stop 'on a red light' - i.e. when the traffic lights show red.

I think you would be unlikely to be told to stop 'at the red light'.

None of the others works - for traffic lights.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Right turn on red
Right turn at red

In the US at least, "Right Turn on Red" would be the proper phrase. This refers to a law that was enacted in 1980 that allowed drivers to make a right turn when the traffic light was red, but only after coming to a complete stop first. Individual jurisdictions were allowed to determine which intersections red light right-turners might create a traffic hazard, so warning signs stating "NO TURN ON RED" were erected at these junctions. :)

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
If we are talking of traffic lights, then my view is: I think you could be told to stop 'on a red light' - i.e. when the traffic lights show red.

I think you would be unlikely to be told to stop 'at the red light'.

None of the others works - for traffic lights.

This Oregon Driver Manual does have "stop at the red light". How do native speakers automatically decide when to use what? Do they learn from what they hear or see or do they consult grammar books? I think it's a bit of both. We, non-native speakers, find it disturbing when native speakers don't see eye to eye on, supposedly, simple things.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This Oregon Driver Manual does have "stop at the red light". How do native speakers automatically decide when to use what? Do they learn from what they hear or see or do they consult grammar books? I think it's a bit of both. We, non-native speakers, find it disturbing when native speakers don't see eye to eye on, supposedly, simple things.

Ah, well, you see, using the word "simple" in a post about English language is a basic error!! ;-)

If it's any help, the only reason I know about "Right turn on red" is because I've driven in America.

In BrE, we don't have that rule, so we pretty much consistently use "at".

You have to stop at a red light.
He got a ticket for not stopping at a red light.
She's a terrible driver and frequently fails to stop at red lights.
I got 3 points on my licence for not stopping at a red light. The thing is, I'm convinced that it wasn't red. I think I drove through an amber light.
Go down this road, turn left at the lights and the supermarket is on the right.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Ah, well, you see, using the word "simple" in a post about English language is a basic error!! ;-)

Well, I can see why! :up:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
How do native speakers automatically decide when to use what? Do they learn from what they hear or see mainly, yes

or do they consult grammar books?
Most native speakers wouldn't know what a grammar book was.

I think it's a bit of both.
Not a chance, for most native speakers

We, non-native speakers, find it disturbing when native speakers don't see eye to eye on, supposedly, simple things.
That's one of the fun things about English. We have no equivalent of the French Academy, no recognised authority. If one of our versions had such an authority, it would not be recognised by other areas. Just within the comparatively small area as the British Isles, we have several varieties of English, and many dialects.

Even that minority version known as RP changes constantly. What is unacceptable one year may be completely acceptable twenty years later; in the intervening twenty years that tiny minority of people interested in the language are arguing about it.
If it were not so, there would be no usingenglish.com. There would be recognised books that answered every question, with no appeal. I like it better this way.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since we invented the rule allowing a right turn while the light is red (after a stop and if it is safe and if it is not prohibited by a sign), we had to distinguish.

For all other uses, we use "at." Just like our British cousins.

But there is a difference between "making a right at the red light" and "making a right on the red light."

One is referring to a location, the "at" tells you where. The other is a state of the traffic signals (on red).

"Right while red" is probably a better phrase, but it doesn't roll off the tongue like "right on red."

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Since we invented the rule allowing a right turn while the light is red (after a stop and if it is safe and if it is not prohibited by a sign), we had to distinguish.

For all other uses, we use "at." Just like our British cousins.

But there is a difference between "making a right at the red light" and "making a right on the red light."

One is referring to a location, the "at" tells you where. The other is a state of the traffic signals (on red).

"Right while red" is probably a better phrase, but it doesn't roll off the tongue like "right on red."

Thanks Dave. Now let's say I'm taking driving lessons. During one of them I don't notice a red light and I go past it, taking a turn soon after. There's no 'right turn on red' rule functioning either. I imagine I couldn't say that I made a right on the red light? Could I use the 'at' version or do I have to say something like "I jumped the lights"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks Dave. Now let's say I'm taking driving lessons. During one of them I don't notice a red light and I go past it, taking a turn soon after. There's no 'right turn on red' rule functioning either. I imagine I couldn't say that I made a right on the red light? Could I use the 'at' version or do I have to say something like "I jumped the lights"?

If a driving instructor let you do that during a lesson, I'd be looking for a new driving school!!!

But let's say it happened. I would say "Oh no, I went straight through that red light" or "I shot the lights" or "I jumped the lights".

Because it's illegal (in the UK) to cross the line while the light is red, we don't have a phrase for it using "at" or "on" etc. We have words for the traffic rule violation that it entails - "to jump/to shoot the lights". I imagine, though, that the traffic police officer who stops you would give you a ticket for "failing to stop at a red light/traffic signal".

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
No more questions from me, all clear. Thank you all!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We call it "running a red light."

Status