• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Norway
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

• Post Thanks / Like

Please teach.

"for most of the parts" Is it correct? Is it correct in the following sentence?
    " He, for most of the parts, picks tender shoots and leaves. "

Please read the following sentence and teach me.
    "All the materials that reach the factory will be examined by units concerned for any chemical leftovers. They are absolutely below National Agriculture Remnant Standard."

In the phrase "below agricultural remnant standard", is the word below correct. I think it is correct by thinking about its logical situation, because it is impossible for all teas to have the same amount of chemival leftovers on them, conforming to the standard. However, teas are safe when they have chemical leftovers below the standard.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please teach.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowpurple View Post
    "for most of the parts" Is it correct? Is it correct in the following sentence?
    " He, for most of the parts, picks tender shoots and leaves. "

I'm not sure of the meaning here, without context, but I'll stick my neck out and say that it should be "He, for the most part, picks..."

Please read the following sentence and teach me.
    "All the materials that reach the factory will be examined by units concerned for any chemical leftovers. They are absolutely below National Agriculture Remnant Standard."

I would say "They (the leftover levels) must be below the National Agriculture Remnant Standard."

In the phrase "below agricultural remnant standard", is the word below correct. I think it is correct by thinking about its logical situation, because it is impossible for all teas to have the same amount of chemival leftovers on them, conforming to the standard. However, teas are safe when they have chemical leftovers below the standard.
    See my comments above in red. I don't know the terminology for tea collection so I don't know if "...units concerned for..." is correct. I'm inclined to think that it should be something like "...will be examined by the relevant departments for any chemical leftovers".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Norway
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

• Post Thanks / Like

To my last poster: Will you please do me a favor by explaining why below is a better word here than" to conform to"? As I said "below" follows the logic better. However some people in my country do not agree with me by choosing the word, below here, because they think in a Chinese way, in which below the standard means not being qualified. In the text, the chemical leftovers is the last mentioned, so the beginning word of the next sentence, they, must refer to the leftovers.

Will you explain it yourself as an Englsih teacher? Please paraphrase my sentences in a tone of a teaching teacher, and add anything if you like.

By the way, is" for most of the parts" acceptable, if it is rarely used? Is it a phrase you ever saw? I know "for most of the parts is correct. However my work was sent. Nothing can be corrected now. I only wish to know if there is a tiny chance that "for most of the parts" people also saw somewhere, being used.
    Last edited by rainbowpurple; 20-Sep-2011 at 02:08.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Will you please do me a favor by explaining why below is a better word here than" to conform to"?
    emsr2d2 did not say that 'below' was a better word, but it is specific. If the levels do not conform to national levels, then the implication is that they are below (or above, as appropriate) these levels.

By the way, is" for most of the parts" acceptable, if it is rarely used? No
    Is it a phrase you ever saw? No.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Norway
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

• Post Thanks / Like

You didn't get what I said. To have chemical leftovers below the standard makes a tea qualified as a safe type. Whether it conforms to the standard or not has nothing to do whatever.

I think I 've read it somewhere in some older English, which transformed the current phrase," for the most part" into for most of the parts.
    Last edited by rainbowpurple; 20-Sep-2011 at 10:59.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

You didn't get what I said. To have chemical leftovers below the standard makes a tea qualified as a safe type. Whether it conforms to the standard or not has nothing to do whatever. Yes, it does.

I think I've read it somewhere in some older English, which transformed the current phrase," for the most part" into for most of the parts.
    "for most of the parts" is incorrect, as you have been told "for the most part" is the correct form.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Norway
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

• Post Thanks / Like

Whether the level of leftovers is below the standard is the deciding factor. If it is, that tea is safe. If it is not, that teas is not safe. Therefore, "below" is the best word to be used here. It is impossibe for all teas to have the same amount of chemical leftovers,conforming to the standard. That is not how it functions in reality. Therefore, " below" is the right word.