Infer\Imply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven D

Member Type
English Teacher
tdol said:
Neither would I- I was curious about how common it is. ;-)

It's amazing how people read and hear what they want and do not respond properly to a question or a comment.

To answer your question, I would say I don't know. But I think some people tend to confuse the two. I have no idea how common it is to do so. I would find confusing "infer" and "imply" just about as irksome as not responding properly or in direct enough fashion to a question or a comment.

Johannes

Member Type
English Teacher
X Mode said:
It's amazing how people read and hear what they want and do not respond properly to a question or a comment.

To answer your question, I would say I don't know. But I think some people tend to confuse the two. I have no idea how common it is to do so. I would find confusing "infer" and "imply" just about as irksome as not responding properly or in direct enough fashion to a question or a comment.

"Would" you only say you don't know or ARE you saying you don't know? What's the point of answering a question by saying you don't know the answer to it?

Steven D

Member Type
English Teacher
Johannes said:
"Would" you only say you don't know or ARE you saying you don't know? What's the point of answering a question by saying you don't know the answer to it?

It informs the person who asked the question.

If I were you, I would take a look at my entire answer and consider it in relation to the question I was replying to.

pidr1nhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
imply means to suggest something without actually saying it directly, whereas infer means to deduce or conclude something based on what someone else has said.

Example
Pat: Can you afford to buy that car?
Sam: Are you implying (i.e. saying) that I am poor?
Pat: No. Not at all. I meant that, because you have three cars already, you may not have the time or space to take care of a fourth car. You've inferred (i.e. concluded) the wrong meaning!

What a subtle difference uhn, Casiopea, from what you said above I understand imply as you imply something from what you said, and you infer something from what somebody else said. But in the examples after Pat asking if Sam could buy a car, you used the verb imply, so he is implying something from what Pat said, Wasn't it supposed to be infer?

Regards!

daospeak

Member Type
Student or Learner
To imply: to communicate our thoughts and feelings.
To infer: to seem to understand someone else's thoughts and feelings.

Torrance88

Member Type
Student or Learner
The press may have 'inferred' that she was being hounded by the press. She may have "implied" it.

Implying means inaudably sending out signals without actually saying the words (between the lines). Inferred means picking up on those signals. They're complete opposites.

right?

GreyMan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We imply something by what we say. We infer something from something somebody else says.

:)

So if I understand this right, infer could be replaced with deduce?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's certainly the right direction and the problem with infer is that people use it in the wrong direction- deduce may not be an exact synonym, but it is close.

GreyMan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's certainly the right direction and the problem with infer is that people use it in the wrong direction- deduce may not be an exact synonym, but it is close.

Good to know, thanks. I also thought of this in terms of "direction".
What would you say is the difference between infer and deduce?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

GreyMan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I tend to avoid infer because people often misunderstand it. But I'm grateful to have my understanding confirmed.;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The infer/imply confusion is so common that one day the distinction may be lost completely IMO.

jahildebrandt

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good to know, thanks. I also thought of this in terms of "direction".
What would you say is the difference between infer and deduce?

One may infer something that is not true, or have no reason to infer. To deduce something is to piece things together using reason.

As for the poll, either usage can be correct, depending on the context of the sentence.
If the girl is currently being interviewed by multiple people, she may get the feeling (infer) that she is being hounded.

If she is reporting what is happening, she may imply that she is (or was being) hounded by the press.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Good point, Jahildebrandt, and it just goes to show how difficult it can be to make questions to illustrate things without a context. I hadn't thought about a press conference. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.