whether "behave to be immortal" is correct ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathesh2011

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Though death is a daily fact, it is a wonder that people should behave to be immortal.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Though death is a daily fact, it is a wonder that people should behave to be immortal.

It does make sense from the viewpoint of mysticism, I guess.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
No, it's just wrong. The second clause, alone, could mean "it's amazing people try to behave well in order to be granted immortality by the gods" but no, it's linked with an antecedent that situates the second clause as expressing something in spite of the inevitability of death. So Bob's your uncle.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
No, it's just wrong. The second clause, alone, could mean "it's amazing people try to behave well in order to be granted immortality by the gods" but no, it's linked with an antecedent that situates the second clause as expressing something in spite of the inevitability of death. So Bob's your uncle.

Whoever wrote the original sentence might have implied what I think it is. It's the wording itself that is confusing.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Whoever wrote the original sentence might have implied what I think it is. It's the wording itself that is confusing.
It's not just confusing, it's wrong.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

What I meant to say is this:

Death is a daily fact. But can you imagine our purpose in life is to purify ourselves? Spiritual discipline will help us become immortal. We won't have to reincarnate again.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This sentence is not grammatical. The truth value of a similar sentence in correct grammar is not in contention.

Death is a daily fact. But can you imagine our purpose in life is to purify ourselves? Spiritual discipline will help us become immortal. We won't have to reincarnate again.
The OP was asking about grammar, not about metaphysics. The sentence is wrong. (The grammar is wrong). How people should behave in the face of the ever-present prospect of death is not a subject for this forum.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Taking the metaphysical point of view for the sake of argument, the way to express this would be something like '...it is a wonder that people should behave so as to be immortal.' A to-infinitive on its own is not enough.

b

PS But that wouldn't make sense even for a Buddhist! The fact that believers behave like that is not a matter for wonder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.