Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Reading the short story on Thriving in a Diverse World, Oscar Velasquez asks us “What experiences do you have with other people who are different from you, and how would we learn or get along with people from different backgrounds?”
I can relate to most of what Oscar is writing about. I have a few different types of culture in my family, Spanish, Italian, Mexican, Guatemalan and most are American. On the other hand, I also have friends of much different diversity as well as African American, Caucasian, Asian, and Puerto Rican.
Having so many different cultures in my family, I’m always being asked, how can they be your family you look nothing alike? Well my answer is that even though we look nothing alike or even if we don’t have the same blood family is family no matter what. You don’t always have to have the same skin, hair color, or even eyes to be considered so.
The assumptions that people make nowadays are very stereotypical, some agree that you should only have one race in your family or that you should have only a certain amount of children to a family. What I’m trying to say is that people look at the world today (families) and believe that is should be a mother and a father, two children one boy and one girl. Nothing ever works out as so, that is why we have such diverse cultures in the world.
When I was younger I was always ridiculed for having a brother with a disability, they would always say your brothers stupid he can’t go to a regular school. Growing up it was hard for me to go home and try to tell my mom or even ask, why people always thought he was this way, for me looking at him I could always tell that he was different then me but never thought he was stupid or slow. Looking back I think that it made me a stronger person and him as well for growing up with a disability. My brother is a very smart person, he’s very good with remembering things, also very clean if one thing in his room were to be moved he would know the minute he got into his room.
The world that we live in is so harsh, you always have to watch the things that you say or do. One day you could be the happiest person in the world, the next day you might find yourself in a sad mood. People never really take a step back and look at what someone else might be going through, that’s why we have so many bullying going on. You could go to a school on day and be looked at for what you are wearing because it might not be name brand or because you have a hole in your shirt. “Pst look she has a hole in her shirt” the person making this comment might find it to be funny, it might even get there friends going and have them make comments as well. Some people never realize when they say things that it actually hurts the person’s feelings. Something so small could mean a big deal to another person; you never know, you could think you’re whispering but in all reality the person two feet away from you could hear you perfectly clear. When you look back at your life and actually stop to think, was I really that mean to anyone? We may or may not ask ourselves this but maybe you really were.
Reading the short story thriving in a Diverse World I have encountered in all the types of diversity and racial or such hurtful comments. I also have made such mistakes in my life that I write about in the paragraphs above. Taking the time to stop and think I would never want to put someone through what I have gone through. I want to change my way of how I look at life or anyone else’s life from now until the day I die, hopefully I can achieve this goal.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Reading the short story on Thriving in a Diverse World, Oscar Velasquez asks us “What experiences do you have with other people who are different from you, and how would we learn or get along with people from different backgrounds?”
I can relate to most of what Oscar is writing about. I have a few different types of culture in my family, Spanish, Italian, Mexican, Guatemalan and most are American. On the other hand, I also have friends of much different diversity as well as African American, Caucasian, Asian, and Puerto Rican.
Having so many different cultures in my family, I’m always being asked, how can they be your family you look nothing alike? Well my answer is that even though we look nothing alike or even if we don’t have the same blood family is family no matter what. You don’t always have to have the same skin, hair color, or even eyes to be considered so.
The assumptions that people make nowadays are very stereotypical, some agree that you should only have one race in your family or that you should have only a certain amount of children to a family. What I’m trying to say is that people look at the world today (families) and believe that is should be a mother and a father, two children one boy and one girl. Nothing ever works out as so, that is why we have such diverse cultures in the world.
When I was younger I was always ridiculed for having a brother with a disability, they would always say your brothers stupid he can’t go to a regular school. Growing up it was hard for me to go home and try to tell my mom or even ask, why people always thought he was this way, for me looking at him I could always tell that he was different then me but never thought he was stupid or slow. Looking back I think that it made me a stronger person and him as well for growing up with a disability. My brother is a very smart person, he’s very good with remembering things, also very clean if one thing in his room were to be moved he would know the minute he got into his room.
The world that we live in is so harsh, you always have to watch the things that you say or do. One day you could be the happiest person in the world, the next day you might find yourself in a sad mood. People never really take a step back and look at what someone else might be going through, that’s why we have so many bullying going on. You could go to a school on day and be looked at for what you are wearing because it might not be name brand or because you have a hole in your shirt. “Pst look she has a hole in her shirt” the person making this comment might find it to be funny, it might even get there friends going and have them make comments as well. Some people never realize when they say things that it actually hurts the person’s feelings. Something so small could mean a big deal to another person; you never know, you could think you’re whispering but in all reality the person two feet away from you could hear you perfectly clear. When you look back at your life and actually stop to think, was I really that mean to anyone? We may or may not ask ourselves this but maybe you really were.
Reading the short story thriving in a Diverse World I have encountered in all the types of diversity and racial or such hurtful comments. I also have made such mistakes in my life that I write about in the paragraphs above. Taking the time to stop and think I would never want to put someone through what I have gone through. I want to change my way of how I look at life or anyone else’s life from now until the day I die, hopefully I can achieve this goal.
What is your question?

Status
Not open for further replies.