Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Helo!
I'm having a dilemma with them.I've ever known that it is right as to be+gonna...That, today my english teacher told me, that never use this so.Her way to use this is the following:"I gonna".What's the truth about it?

I know that it is the american shorter version of the "to be going to", so it would need to have the "to be" too not?

Thansk, for the answers!

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm gonna do it = I am going to do it.

Other contractions of this kind:

a couple of = a coupla
a lot of = a lotta
got to = gotta
would have done it = woulda done it
should have done it = shoulda done it

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello!
[STRIKE]I'm having [/STRIKE]I have a dilemma. [STRIKE]with them.[/STRIKE]I've [STRIKE]ever [/STRIKE] always known that it is right as: (to be)+gonna...[STRIKE]That,[/STRIKE] Today my English teacher told me, [STRIKE]that [/STRIKE]never to use this [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE].Her way to use this is the following:"I gonna".What's the truth about it?

I know that it is the american shorter version of the "to be going to", so it would need to have the "to be" [STRIKE]too[/STRIKE]or not?

[STRIKE]Thansk[/STRIKE], Thanks for the answers!

First, I can't believe I'm responding to a "gonna/wanna" post. But sometimes in my weaker moments, I make exceptions. Anyway, with all due respect to your teacher, the statements in conversation should be "I'm gonna/she's gonna/you're gonna/we're gonna/they're gonna. But PLEASE use the correct, full form when writing. Also, although you didn't ask, "to be" forms are not used with "wanna". And, for your sake, be careful how you explain this to your teacher.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: 'I'm...'. But all sorts of things happen in different contexts/variants: 'I'm-a gonna', 'I's gonna', 'I's-a gonna'... if Mark Twain is to be believed, even 'Ah's gwine'. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere someone says 'I gonna'. It's not correct in formal speech.

(This reminds me of an American comic - African American, appears on UK TV now and then, forget the name) who said of someone 'He dead'. Someone corrected him 'You mean "He has died"'. His response was 'No, he done died. Now he dead.' ;-))

b

Status
Not open for further replies.