• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

grammar and vocabulary

Dear teachers,

I have three questions to ask. Please kindly explain them to me.

No. 1

.....the knife this fine boy admitted buying on the night of the killing.
    My question is we usually say " at night" why do we have "on the night" here? Is "on the night of " a set phrase?

No.2

___________ living in cities has its problems, more and more people are moving to urban areas all over the world.

a. Even though b. Even if c. In spite of d. While

As we know there used to be difference between "even though, referring to the fact that something has happened" and "even if, referring to the fact that something hasn't taken place" but now there is no difference between the two, right? So both a and b make sense. And since "while" can mean "although" it seems choosing d is also correct. I am confused. Please explain the differences to me.

No.3

When the window is open and the train goes by, the noise is almost unbearable. You couldn't hear yourself think.

My question is if we say " You couldn't hear yourself speak" it makes sense but " You couldn't hear yourself think" just doesn't make sense.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Re: grammar and vocabulary

My question is we usually say " at night" why do we have "on the night" here? Is "on the night of " a set phrase?
    Yes, we say "at night" but we don't say "at the night". We say, "on the night of" but we don't say "at night of". Notice the difference??

___________ living in cities has its problems, more and more people are moving to urban areas all over the world.
    a. Even though b. Even if c. In spite of d. While
    Rewrite the sentence as, "More and more people are moving to urban areas all over the world_______________living in cities has its problems." and you will know why answer (a) is correct.

My question is if we say "You couldn't hear yourself speak" it makes sense but "You couldn't hear yourself think" just doesn't make sense.
    It makes sense to those who think aloud and believe me, most people do "think aloud". Of course, nobody can hear them "think aloud" because it is not meant for others to hear!

Talking Re: grammar and vocabulary

Hello everybody. I dont know, to tell you the truth, if Im doing the right thing. This is the first time I have got in touch with you.

I`m a teacher of English and Im training some pupils for the PET exam. As you know, one of the parts in Paper 1 (Reading and Writing) contains "Transformation Sentences". Well, the point is I would like to download TS for my pupils to practise.

Can I count on that here? Please, let me know.

Cordially,

Viviana

I agree wtih Temico completely. I just have one clarification to make. This is based on my perception of the use of "Even though" and "Even if". Could someone please confirm. I think "Even though" and "Even if" are not interchangeable.

"Even though" means "despite the fact that" and "Even if" means "whether or not".

So, I think that in your sentence if you wanted to use "Even if" the meaning would change, and the focus would be on the fact that many people are moving to urban areas, rather than the problems that living in the city has which is pointed out by the use of Even though.

What do you think?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Even though = it has problems, but
    Even if = doesn't necessarily have problems

Given that living in cities does have problems, then I agree with the others.

Can't hear myself think- If there's too much noise, it stops you concentrating, drowning out what's going on in your head (inner voice)- that's the idea. If that doesn't help, then just regard it as an idiom.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by Viviana C. Ribichich
    I`m a teacher of English and Im training some pupils for the PET exam. As you know, one of the parts in Paper 1 (Reading and Writing) contains "Transformation Sentences". Well, the point is I would like to download TS for my pupils to practise.

Cordially,

Viviana
    Viviana,

Yes, you can. The best way would be to start a thread on the subject with a name like PET Transformations. Welcome

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Temico
    Yes, we say "at night" but we don't say "at the night". We say, "on the night of" but we don't say "at night of". Notice the difference??

Rewrite the sentence as, "More and more people are moving to urban areas all over the world_______________living in cities has its problems." and you will know why answer (a) is correct.

It makes sense to those who think aloud and believe me, most people do "think aloud". Of course, nobody can hear them "think aloud" because it is not meant for others to hear!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Sorry I have no idea. Maybe others can help you.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Viviana C. Ribichich
    Hello everybody. I dont know, to tell you the
    truth, if Im doing the right thing. This is the first time I have got in touch with you.

Cordially,

Viviana

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thank you so much for your further explanation. Now I see.

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus342
    I agree wtih Temico completely. I just have one clarification to make. This is based on my perception of the use of "Even though" and "Even if". Could someone please confirm. I think "Even though" and "Even if" are not interchangeable.

"Even though" means "despite the fact that" and "Even if" means "whether or not".

So, I think that in your sentence if you wanted to use "Even if" the meaning would change, and the focus would be on the fact that many people are moving to urban areas, rather than the problems that living in the city has which is pointed out by the use of Even though.

What do you think?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thank you very much for the explanation. Now I see.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Even though = it has problems, but
    Even if = doesn't necessarily have problems

Given that living in cities does have problems, then I agree with the others.

Can't hear myself think- If there's too much noise, it stops you concentrating, drowning out what's going on in your head (inner voice)- that's the idea. If that doesn't help, then just regard it as an idiom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast