[Grammar] The sentence seems to miss "because of"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhatruc30

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Dear all.
I read an essay, but I have felt confused because of the complement of following sentence.
Many people, both children and adults, waste a lot of time sitting in front of a TV watching poor quality programs. In my view, the sentence is corrected as below.
Many people, both children and adults, waste a lot of time because of siting in front of a TV, and watching poor quality programs.
I don't know whether my idea is right. If someone knows, please give me help
I'm expecting from you.
Your sincerely,
Truc

Here is an original paragraph.
-----------------------------------------------
Individuals can be negatively effected in the ways. Many people, both children and adults, waste a lot of time sitting in front of a TV watching poor quality programs. Secondly, watching TV too much can make people lazy and unhealthy because they don't get enough exercise. Thirdly, the advertisements on TV can make people feel unhappy with the things they have and can influence them to spend money on the new things.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I read an essay, but I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] felt confused because of the complement of following sentence.
Many people, both children and adults, waste a lot of time sitting in front of a TV watching poor quality programs.
That sentence is fine. The writer is saying how they waste their time, not giving a reason.

In my view, the sentence is corrected as below.

Many people, both children and adults, waste a lot of time because of siting in front of a TV, and watching poor quality programs.
This is not natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.