Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Please, check if the following passages are grammatically correct. Thanks!

**This is a translated passage. It is neither intended to express a political opinion nor start a political discussion. I'm just interested in the language. **

The world is not looking forward today to Mr. "M" speech in the United Nations building. It appears that even in the ___ territories no one is gearing up for the speech and it is questionable if most of the ___ [people] will bother either watching it or listening to it.

The authorities have been working for many months in harboring expectations for the Security Council discussions, but the greater the expectations the deeper the disappointment. It is primarily the disappointment of the ___ [people] but also of those who have expected tsunami in September and, instead, got a calm sea.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please, check if the following passages are grammatically correct. Thanks!

**This is a translated passage. It is neither intended to express a political opinion nor start a political discussion. I'm just interested in the language. **

The world is not looking forward today to Mr. "M" speech in the United Nations building. It appears that even in the ___ territories no one is gearing up for the speech and it is questionable if most of the ___ [people] will bother either watching it or listening to it.

The authorities have been working for many months in harboring expectations for the Security Council discussions, but the greater the expectations the deeper the disappointment. It is primarily the disappointment of the ___ [people] but also of those who have expected tsunami in September and, instead, got a calm sea.

NOTE: NOT A TEACHER

(1) Congratulations on the discreet way in which you presented your question.

(2) As usual, your English is excellent.

(3) May I just make a few comments:

(a) I think that "in the United Nations building" sounds strange. Surely, native

speakers would simply say "at the United Nations."

(b) "in harboring expectations" ??? How about in promoting/encouraging/ raising expectations.

(c) I may be wrong, but I prefer "who had expected a tsunami in September and,

instead, have gotten a calm sea."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.