Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #1

    grammar

    Dear teachers,

    It was moving like a huge black rope winds around a windlass.

    I don't understand the grammar.

    "like" is a prepositon. Then what is the parts of speech of "winds" here? I think "winds" is a verb. But how can a preposition followed by a verb? Could you please analyze the sentence for me?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: grammar

    'Like' is frequently used as an adverb or a conjunction in places where the pedant would prefer 'as'.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #3

    Re: grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

    It was moving like a huge black rope winds around a windlass.

    I don't understand the grammar.

    "like" is a prepositon. Then what is the parts of speech of "winds" here? I think "winds" is a verb. But how can a preposition followed by a verb? Could you please analyze the sentence for me?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    I don't understand it either. Maybe it should be, "that winds (verb) around etc." OR "as it winds around etc." OR "winding around etc."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #4

    Re: grammar

    Hi,
    Thank you very much for your help.
    May I say it means "just like"?

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    'Like' is frequently used as an adverb or a conjunction in places where the pedant would prefer 'as'.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #5

    Re: grammar

    Hi billmcd,

    Thank you very much for your help. I think your explanation makes sense.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    I don't understand it either. Maybe it should be, "that winds (verb) around etc." OR "as it winds around etc." OR "winding around etc."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Oct 2005
    • Posts: 254
    #6

    Re: grammar

    There are two clauses in it. It was moving and a huge rope winds around a windlass. Both these clauses are joined by like, which is a conjunction. Rope is a subject of the second clause, winds is a verb, around a windlass is a prepositional phrase.

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

    It was moving like a huge black rope winds around a windlass.

    I don't understand the grammar.

    "like" is a prepositon. Then what is the parts of speech of "winds" here? I think "winds" is a verb. But how can a preposition followed by a verb? Could you please analyze the sentence for me?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    Last edited by rajan; 27-Sep-2011 at 16:17.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #7

    Re: grammar

    I was clearly too terse in post #2.

    It was moving like a huge black rope winds around a windlass. = It was moving in the way that a huge black rope winds (wraps or twists) round a windlass (winch).

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #8

    Re: grammar

    Hi Rajan,

    Thank you very much for your explanation.

    Jiang


    Quote Originally Posted by rajan View Post
    There are two clauses in it. It was moving and a huge rope winds around a windlass. Both these clauses are joined by like, which is a conjunction. Rope is a subject of the second clause, winds is a verb, around a windlass is a prepositional phrase.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #9

    Re: grammar

    HI fivejedjon,

    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    I was clearly too terse in post #2.

    It was moving like a huge black rope winds around a windlass. = It was moving in the way that a huge black rope winds (wraps or twists) round a windlass (winch).

Similar Threads

  1. Descriptive grammar and standard english grammar
    By guzhao67 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2010, 07:14
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-Sep-2009, 19:24
  3. Grammar Websites and Grammar Chats
    By Grammar Needs Improving in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Apr-2009, 19:32
  4. [Grammar] contemporary grammar, communicative grammar
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Jul-2008, 10:54
  5. Prescriptive grammar and Descriptive grammar
    By zoobinshid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2005, 13:25

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •