• Native Language:
      • Slovak
      • Home Country:
      • Slovak Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Slovak Republic

"have problems" in a continuous tense

Hello.
    I know that when we use the verb to have in the meaning of possessing/owning, it is normally used in the present simple. E.g. I have a new car. I have a blue pen. Even when I talk about the situation at the time of speaking.
    And it is used in the present continuous (to talk about the present situation) when it is a linking verb - I'm having lunch, call me later. vs. I have lunch at 6 pm (each day).

When I want to say the sentence It seems that he doesn't have/is not having problems with it today., what should I use? Please, do not talk about other options (He seems not to have/It seems he hasn't got etc.), just tell me if one of the tenses is more suitable or if only one of them is acceptable and if it is so, which one it is. Thank you very much.
    Have a nice evening.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: "have problems" in a continuous tense

Quote Originally Posted by mafto View Post
    Hello.
    I know that when we use the verb to have in the meaning of possessing/owning, it is normally used in the present simple. E.g. I have a new car. I have a blue pen. Even when I talk about the situation at the time of speaking.
    And it is used in the present continuous (to talk about the present situation) when it is a linking verb - I'm having lunch, call me later. vs. I have lunch at 6 pm (each day).

When I want to say the sentence It seems that he doesn't have/is not having problems with it today., what should I use? Please, do not talk about other options (He seems not to have/It seems he hasn't got etc.), just tell me if one of the tenses is more suitable or if only one of them is acceptable and if it is so, which one it is. Thank you very much.
    Have a nice evening.
    If you are only giving us those two to choose from, then "It seems that he's not having problems with it today".

It wouldn't be my first choice out of all the possibilities though.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by mafto View Post
    'Have' does not appear to me to be being used as a linking verb there.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Slovak
      • Home Country:
      • Slovak Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Slovak Republic

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    'Have' does not appear to me to be being used as a linking verb there.
    so perhaps it really isn't one...
    I said so on the basis of the assumption that it actually can be substituted with e.g. "I'm eating lunch".
    But I've just checked out the book I got it from and I see I've messed it up - they say that "to have" is a linking verb when it creates one semantic unit with the object derived from a verb and when it can be substituted by the verb that is directly related to the object. E.g. to have a look - to look. :) So I apologize for the error :)