Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello, teachers!
When we use a pariciple construction in a sentence, as far as I know , we usually put it in front shown as : Knowing little of the city, I hired a guide.
But what I am curious is that the sentence," I hired a guide, knowing little of the city" is grammatically correct or not?
If it is ok, then, what about this sentence : Dogs will learn a sense of helplessness, taught that they cannot escape shocks when confined. Does this sentence make sense???
Can't wait to hear your opinions!!!!
Thanks!!!

Afit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Hello, teachers!
When we use a pariciple construction in a sentence, as far as I know , we usually put it in front shown as : Knowing little of the city, I hired a guide.
But what I am curious is that the sentence," I hired a guide, knowing little of the city" is grammatically correct or not?
If it is ok, then, what about this sentence : Dogs will learn a sense of helplessness, taught that they cannot escape shocks when confined. Does this sentence make sense???
Can't wait to hear your opinions!!!!
Thanks!!!

Knowing little of the city, I hired a guide. :tick:
I hired a guide, knowing little of the city. :tick:

Dogs will learn a sense of helplessness, taught that they cannot escape shocks when confined. :cross:

Having learnt that they can't escape shocks when confined, dogs will learn a sense of helplessness. :tick:

Status
Not open for further replies.