• Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

• Post Thanks / Like

The crucial moment

Please, check if the following passage is grammatically correct. Thanks!

The only option left is to wait and see whether Mr. Clark will show flexibility in his speech, with honorably climbing down and withdrawing his uncompromising positions to which he has recently stuck and thus, preserve his leadership, or will he deliver such a disastrous speech that will lead to the end of his leadership and perhaps, temporarily to the end of the negotiations to which he has been committed for the last few years. As a result, the frustration of his people might escalate into violence beginning with riots up to terrorism, the same as over a decade ago. This is, therefore, the crucial moment for Mr. Clark and his people and he is going to fire the opening shot for what will happen, for the better or the worst, in his speech today.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: The crucial moment

Quote Originally Posted by motico View Post

The only option left is to wait and see whether Mr. Clark will show flexibility in his speech, with honorably climbing down and withdrawing his uncompromising positions to which he has recently stuck and thus, preserve his leadership, or will he deliver such a disastrous speech that will lead to the end of his leadership and perhaps, temporarily to the end of the negotiations to which he has been committed for the last few years. As a result, the frustration of his people might escalate into violence beginning with riots up to terrorism, the same as over a decade ago. This is, therefore, the crucial moment for Mr. Clark and his people and he is going to fire the opening shot for what will happen, for the better or the worst, in his speech today.
    It's rambling, messy, and the underlined wordsand punctuation marks are not the finest English I have seen. However, it is no worse than a lot of the stuff we see in newspapers or hear on the radio and television these days.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    It's rambling, messy, and the underlined wordsand punctuation marks are not the finest English I have seen. However, it is no worse than a lot of the stuff we see in newspapers or hear on the radio and television these days.
    I hope this version will be more to your taste

The only option left is to wait and see whether Mr. Clark will show flexibility in his speech and will be wise enough to honorably climb down and withdraw his uncompromising positions to which he has recently stuck, and thus preserve his leadership, or will he deliver such a disastrous speech that will pave the way for the end of his leadership and perhaps, temporarily – for the end of the negotiations to which he has been committed for the last few years. As a result, the frustration of his people might escalate into violence – beginning with riots which might, in turn, develop into terrorism in the same pattern as over a decade ago. This is, therefore, the crucial moment for Mr. Clark and his people and he is going to fire the opening shot for what will happen, whatever the consequences, in his speech today.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Oops - I hadn't realised that you had written it, or I would have been a litle more tactful in my criticism. I assumed that you had taken it from a newspaper.
    I hope this version will be more to your taste

The only option left is to wait and see whether Mr. Clark will show flexibility in his speech, and will be wise enough to honorably climb down honorably and withdraw his the uncompromising positions to which he has recently stuck, and thus preserve his leadership,. or w Will he, on the other hand, deliver such a disastrous speech that it will pave the way for the end of his leadership and (perhaps temporarily) for the end of the negotiations to which he has been committed for the last few years. As a result, the frustration of his people might escalate into violence beginning with riots which might, in turn, develop into terrorism in the same pattern as over a decade ago. This is, therefore, the crucial moment for Mr. Clark and his people, and he is going to fire the opening shot for what will happen, whatever the consequences, in his speech today.
    I don't like the word 'positions'. What do you mean by it exactly?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Oops - I hadn't realised that you had written it, or I would have been a litle more tactful in my criticism. I assumed that you had taken it from a newspaper.I don't like the word 'positions'. What do you mean by it exactly?
    Opinions, stances.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Opinions, stances.
    It's probably OK then, though I don't like it personallly.
    Last edited by 5jj; 28-Sep-2011 at 16:43. Reason: typo